Dog Vs. Hardware cloth...

My run is covered with the 2x4 welded wire fencing. I had the opposite thing happen when a chicken stuck her head through the fencing and the dog took exception to it. Had to put a layer of chicken wire to keep them from sticking their heads out. The welded wire fencing over the hardware cloth should work. I'm good at testing electric fences in moments of forgetfulness so I shy away from them as would your dog. Try to make the WW fencing one piece wrapping it around the corners and ending it at your door. Screws with washers in the corners of the 2x4 openings holding it tight.

Last edited:
I'll throw in with the others who recommended 2x4 welded wire. It's held up well for us on our original run from 2009...we used HW cloth over top of it just along the lower 24" to prevent reach-ins (or reach outs - since I read about a bird sticking it's head through to meet it's end). Depending on what else you have around that might be of "ripping and tearing strength" you could also consider hog panels along the lower sides - but I think that'd be overkill (no pun intended).

Last edited:
Just kind of a heads up for the coop builders. We lost a pullet today to our big mutt dog (rottwieler/shepherd x) who just couldnt help herself.
Sorry for your loss......and thanks for posting pic.
I've always posited that if an animal could get a tooth or two into 1/2" HC mesh holes,
welds would break pretty easy depending on jaw strength.
Looks like HC took a bend there so maybe wasn't good and flat....or not taut enough?

I have a question about what the dog looks like after doing this. I mean, that's a lot of sharp ends that had to have cut the dog up pretty good, most things once hurt would have stopped, must have been very determined to eat a chicken. How long did it take them to tear through?
Good question...I wondered too.

@Sky is Falling The dog grabbed the chicken and pulled it through that hole?
Another good question I was wondering about.
Hole only looks to be about 6" x 6".

Last edited:
Sorry to all with questions... I am not the quickest at getting back to check. Apologies. Anyway I will address the questions now so youre not hanging too long I hope. First, Yes the dog did indeed pull poor "Waffles" through the hole where she was consumed mostly by her and our wolfhound. However she did enlarge the hole a bit after that too trying to get more chickens. I will post a picture. Second question... She really didnt tear herself up too badly. She had a black mole on her cheek that is no longer there, and a bit of a case of bleeding gums. Her paws were perfectly fine. She was a bit blooded up, but nothing like you would think. I did not take pictures of her after as I was not even wanting to look at her. And lastly I would say it took her less than 2hrs to do all of that. Its hard to say as I was working and despite getting home a bit early, I know they were fine at lunchtime when wife was here.

This weekend we went the electric fence route. See picture... Shocked the CR@P outta me when I tested it. Yes i grabbed it as i figure thats the only way to see if it would be strong enough. So within 1/2 hour I watch Sadie wincing as she just went ahead and wove her way right on through.
he.gif
So.... Sunday we went and purchased horse fencing and steel t posts. Have yet to install them but if that doesnt work I am just giving the chooks away... I like the dog, she is the sweetest dog ever, but dumb as a brick... No grain left in that silo... So I am hoping this works, as I do hope to keep the chickens for eggs, but I think at this point they better lay golden eggs to pay for themselves, cause I am IN THE HOLE in a big way so far.
hmm.png

I also forgot to mention that my little dude was so torn up by the entire ordeal that I just went and got him some new babies to help with the hurt... So he chose three black sex link/ black star chicks, and the funny thing is he named one of them "sabbath" As in black sabbath the band who at age 8 he cant get enough of. Takes after dad I guess. :) Those guys do his favorite song "Iron Man" who is far and away his favorite super hero. Anyway, I found that pretty amusing!
ya.gif

My dad had a dog that would go through an electric fence also. Maybe try more wires? So that there's not just one strand. I don't know what else to suggest. Once they kill chickens I'm not sure you can ever trust him again around them. What about chain-link with hardware cloth over it? Or a fence inside the fence to keep the chickens away from the out side perimeter. It would be very sad to get rid of the chickens, and your son would not be happy. If you get a rooster is he going to name him Ozzy?

0.jpg
First off that is welded wire not Hardwire cloth. They look alike but hardware cloth is zinc dipped and smaller. Second off you can build a good high tension electric fence for less than the cost of either a shot gun or a new pooch. Be sure to buy a charger that puts out a lot of Joules. Google that word. Thirdly, an electric fence may permanently train the rover you currently have to give your chicken coop a WIDE berth. It wont permanently harm dog but he may act like he has been shot.

Notice the dog in the video, she has high hopes of a steak dinner until she gets a taste of the electric fence.

Back
Top Bottom