dog was hit rant

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by mikensara, Aug 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikensara

mikensara Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2011
    New York
    I find it commendable that someone would slow down coming down the hill by our house seeing how maybe they could see the kids in the yard playing. since the yard they play in is 100 feet or more from the road and most cars fly through here. However maybe they didnt realize by slowing down to a crawl and having their arm hanging out the window they gave our dog the cue to approach the vehicle. Maybe they didnt realize they had just hit her or maybe that was there intent I dont know. They never did come back and appologize and i was unable to get more of a dark colored truck as a description.

She is going to be ok she was treated for shock at the vets office, given shots she needed anyway and also left with painkillers and an antibiotic. The cost of her vet bill was well worth having the peace of mind shes going to be ok.

2. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

Poor dog [​IMG] glad she is going to be OK [​IMG]

3. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    [​IMG] At least your dog is okay.

4. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    I'm sorry about your dog but I don't see why the driver would need to apologize. You said yourself they were going slow.
    I think someone needs to explore self-accountability. I'm sorry I that sounds blunt and I don't want to hurt anyones feelings but this post is... I can't even describe how wrong I feel it is, sorry

5. thebritt

thebritt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    Quote:However, if this person really did "slow down to a crawl", how could they not know they've hit a dog? With the window open? I say it would be the least they could do to go up to the house and inform/apololgize. Just saying...

6. carolinagirl58

carolinagirl58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Lugoff, SC
    Quote:I have to agree with you. I would be so traumatized if I hit a dog. And it's needless....dogs should not be allowed to get into the road! Honestly, you are lucky that your dog did not cause an accident or damage their car or you would be liable for that as well. I am truly sorry about your dog getting hit but you do need to accept responsibility for this. It's not the driver's fault.

7. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    What would they be apologizing for? The dog was not in it's yard.

I know sometimes people won't stop because frequently the pet owner freaks out.

Too bad it happened, but not the driver's fault.

8. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    It's sounds like one of those sad situations where there is fault on both sides. The dog should not have been in the road and the driver should have stopped.

Hope your dog heals fast.

9. carolinagirl58

carolinagirl58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Lugoff, SC
    If the driver was a woman, I can certainly understand her NOT stopping. I am not gonna go up to a strangers house and tell them I just ran their dog over. Sorry...the driver was under no obligation to go apologize for anything.

10. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    I really really am not trying to sound like a jerk so please don't take it that way. It just seems that if your dog is able to run out into the middle of the street over a man having his arm out the window then the dog needs to be on a leash for his safety and the safety of drivers on the road. I accidentally hit a doggy once who darted out in front of my car. He wa totally fine but I did NOT offer an apology beause I was going the speed limit and did not do anything wrong. Of course I consoled the owner and checked the pup to make sure he was alright, but instead the owner apologized to ME for not properly securing his dog. I Was really angry with him beause i love dogs and would have not been able to recover if i had killed one due to someone elses irrisponsibility. I just don't see why the driver would need to apologize especially when it sounds like they were driving extra cautiously. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by