Dog with false preg....maybe!

is spay at c-section any different than a spay when in heat? A matter of degree? I know that spay during "off-cycle" is best. But spay while in heat or even while pregnant are becoming pretty common place. You have me curious now. I know that some people prefer to do things all at once because they don't want to put the dog under anesthesia again.

is spay at c-section any different than a spay when in heat? A matter of degree? I know that spay during "off-cycle" is best. But spay while in heat or even while pregnant are becoming pretty common place. You have me curious now. I know that some people prefer to do things all at once because they don't want to put the dog under anesthesia again.

It is a matter of degree kind of. Spay during c-section throws off the hormones and, for some dogs, can decrease milk production as well as "mothering instinct". It is also dangerous due to the size of the uterus. The ligations have a harder time "holding" or can break down easier causing a bleed. When a dog is in heat the uterus is very "fryable"....can tear easily...is engorge with blood.This can cause ligation issues also. Some vets will spay a dog in heat but, for us, why bother? They are in heat for 3 weeks every 6-12 months. Might as well wait until they are out and not take the risks. The anesthesia risks of going under twice is much less than the risks associated with spaying an engorged uterus. Right now my female is not allowed outside, except to potty when she is closely watched. She is in the 4X8 whelping pen other than that so she cannot get "nuts".

I have never spayed one of my own in heat. I have had to do 2 spays at c-section and did one at 4 weeks preg because of infection (pyometria).

I think most spays while in heat or preg are the low cost spays clinics and they just want them done, rather than risk preg or having the unplanned pups. If the dog is in a home who is reasonably responsible and going to a "normal" vet, the vet will tell them to wait.

Yeah, that is true. I do know that my vet does them a lot. They don't have low-cost clinics here - the Humane Society just gives you a voucher to take to your regular vet. When my Freya was in heat, they asked if I wanted to do it then or wait until she got out. The vet told me that yes, there is a bit more bleeding but that it wasn't really anymore dangerous than a regular spay. That's why I wasn't sure.

ETA: he doesn't recommend pediatric spay/neuter though. :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom