Dog with UTI?

Just my recent experience and words of caution..... I adopted a dog the day before thanksgiving, approximately 5 years old. Found out a month later he has cancer. He had iv chemo, now followed by chemo in pill form. Surprised all with how well he is doing! A couple of months ago he was in to see oncologist and had blood work and urinalysis. Found UTI. Treated with antibiotic, he never had symptoms. A few weeks later his urinalysis still showed a UTI and they found he had crystals in his urine and small stones in his bladder. That’s harder to treat.... so he is now on a prescription diet for a while as well as more antibiotic. With or without cancer..... I wouldn’t take a chance, especially in a senior dog - a missed or incorrectly treated UTI can become costly and harmful....

Ok I made her an appointment at my regular vet for tomorrow. She used to go to a vet that does horses & pets, but sadly he felt the need to commit suicide a few years ago. I don't like the lady that took over, she didn't do a good job on my doberma's prior surgery. She has had recurring staph infections in the same spot.

Anyway, hopefully they can help, but Monday I have a work conference out of town and my motherinlaw will be watching her again.

PS: She eats high-quality grain free senior dog food, and drinks TONS of water. But I read that dogs need more water as they age so I wasn't worried about that. I had a Rat Terrier/Italian greyhound cross that lived until 17 & 1/2years (& 2 days). He passed last year.

Last edited:
Drinking tons of water may be a sign of disease. Diabetes comes to mind and the crystals you are seeing may be sugar. Typically these animals eat more, drink more and lose weight. Good luck with your dobie.

The vet says there is some type of long tubular bacteria in her urine. He didn't know what it was so they sent it off to the lab to be identified. $$$

Oh, he also said she has lost vision in the injured eye, but I don't think so, because she squints it in the sun. But who knows.

Oh, he also said she has lost vision in the injured eye, but I don't think so, because she squints it in the sun. But who knows.
Squinting indicates she senses light, not that she can see. Like with cataracts. Something else that is common in diabetics. Not diagnosing your dog, just something to think about.

Back
Top Bottom