Dog with UTI?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Jessdesk, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Jessdesk

Jessdesk Chirping

Jun 3, 2017
    I know this site is primarily for foul, but you have always given me a lot of help! Recently my Doberman turned 10 and we let my motherinlaw watch her for a few days when we had to attent a funeral out of state. When we got back her eye was very red & I took her to the vet. Well $280 dollars later and a non-diagnosis her eye looks some better.

My issue is that she really started having accidents in the house when this happened. I noticed that with a few of these accidents she left some crystally-looking substance in the urine, like little piles of it. I looked it up and I think that she has a UTI, does anyone have any experience with treating this successfully at home? I have been giving her vitamin C with her food every day for a couple of weeks with no improvement. All of the Vets out here are very expensive and so I was wondering if anyone had any at home advice? Otherwise I will try to find a lower-cost vet.

2. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Crowing

Nov 10, 2010
    NE Wisconsin
    I think I read that Apple Cider Vinegar in their water will help with a UTI. 1-2 Tablespoons in her bowl of water and make sure that is the only water she has so she drinks it. My dogs don't mind a little ACV in their water, but if she is not feeling well she may not want to drink it.

3. Jessdesk

Jessdesk Chirping

Jun 3, 2017
    Yeah, I tried the ACV, but she wouldn't drink it, but maybe I used too much. I will try again and start out slowely.

4. imnukensc

imnukensc Crowing

May 22, 2017
    SC Midlands
    Need antibiotics for a UTI if that's what the problem is. Folks here seem to think ACV will solve the world's problems.

5. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Crowing

Nov 10, 2010
    NE Wisconsin
    Not all UTI's require antibiotics and I actually found the ACV recommendation on a vet site.
    How long has she been having urinary problems? It may be more than just an infection, it could be bladder stones of some sort.

I would look for a large animal vet that also treats pets. I find the farm vets tend to have more realistic pricing. Are there people with horse around where you live?

Willowspirit likes this.
  6. Jessdesk

Jessdesk Chirping

Jun 3, 2017
    Yes, there is 1 place that takes horses.

Willowspirit likes this.
  7. cassie

cassie Crowing

Mar 19, 2009
    All I can say is that when I had a UTI, vitamin C didn't help but antibiotics did. I wonder if you could talk to a livestock vet and maybe have him tell you how to collect a sterile urine sample. Then you could have it tested to see what the problem is.

Willowspirit and Wolfefarmyard like this.
  8. ChocolateMouse

ChocolateMouse Crowing

Jul 29, 2013
    Cleveland OH
    I get frequent utis and have tried a host of home remedies and cried myself to sleep in distress because I didn't have money for a doctor and wanted to try non expensive remedies and it SUCKED. Every UTI ends in a doctors visit. Don't put your animal through that. Give them a ton of water and just get the antibiotics. No amount of vinegar and cranberries will solve the problem but it may cover it up for a while while it travels up to their kidneys and becomes very expensive. :p

9. skwarksy

skwarksy Chirping

Sep 24, 2018
    staffordshire England
    a couple years ago my dog had a uti turned out she had bladder stones and had to have an operation if you can catch her having a wee and get a container under her you might get a sample ,I had to use a small syringe and get her to wee on a hard place and syringe it up ,I hope this works for you ,you don't need a lot

10. Jessdesk

Jessdesk Chirping

Jun 3, 2017
    Yeah, I get them too, Doc says he thinks my nerves in my kidneys are damaged, because I usually don't go to the doc until the pains interrupts my sleep & by then is really bad. Lately my kidneys hurt for no reason, they can't find anything wrong, so I just lay off the ibuprofen.

She has been having accidents close to a month. She knows she's doing it because she ducks her head and hides.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: