Dogs and Budgies

WallyBirdie

Crowing
Aug 2, 2019
A peculiar occurrence has taken place.
I have a small [4 lbs] dog that is 10+ yrs old, and he gets all kinds of excited whenever someone enters the house. He barks. He's a barker. I am aware that this can be seen as a negative quirk and most people would want to teach the dog not to bark like mine does.

Thing is, I don't have close neighbors. The barking has never been a bother to me. And I think the dog is doing his job, alerting that someone has come. He quiets down when I tell him "It's alright, settle down", and if I head to the door to let someone in, he follows at my heels.

It's a quirk. But he's small, and he doesn't bite. I don't mind the behavior, so I do not correct it.

Thing is, I now have 2 budgies.
My dog doesn't mind the budgies. He lays around a lot and ignores them, even when they are out. The budgies like my dog though. When my dog gets excited over treats or company, and when he starts barking, my budgies have begun to mimic the level of excitement with screeching. They quiet down when my dog quiets down.

Is this an okay quirk?

A silly notion/concern, what if my birds never talk, but instead learn to mimic my dog barking?
Or what if they DO talk, but their choice phrase is to tell my dog to 'be a good puppy and settle down'?

I find it funny to consider.

If the "quirk" doesn't bother you or others then it's OK. While budgies can learn a few phrases, they usually don't when kept in twos/pairs or more.

I had a neighbor, years ago, that had a single budgie and cats. In time the birds learned to say what it heard the most; "Dang Cat!". Only it wasn't dang that it said.
The noise frequency is no trouble at all. In fact I'd rather have a chattering bird than a silent one.

I don't really expect my birds to talk or mimic phrases. I just know that it is possible, and it's funny to consider what they might pick up.

Thank you for sharing your wisdom and short story. I enjoyed reading it.

Our budgies would mimick the sqeak of a cabinet door, and they were two of them.
Goodness, that is nice to hear/read.
I don't mind if my birds only chirp/chatter/screech, but it would be a delightful for them to mimic other sounds.
Most people have told me that I should have only gotten one budgie... and at first, I did. But I had to get him a friend because I felt bad- the pet store I got them from- these two shared a cage, and only buying one surely had them missing each other.

Goodness, that is nice to hear/read.
I don't mind if my birds only chirp/chatter/screech, but it would be a delightful for them to mimic other sounds.
Most people have told me that I should have only gotten one budgie... and at first, I did. But I had to get him a friend because I felt bad- the pet store I got them from- these two shared a cage, and only buying one surely had them missing each other.
That’s nice, you brought them back together!

Back
Top Bottom