dogs and chickens co-existing?

LAFreewayChickens

Songster
9 Years
May 5, 2010
San Diego (goodbye LA)
So we're moving from LA (back) to San Diego. (Perhaps I'll need to change my login name).

Anyway, we are staying in a friend's condo while we hunt for a house with a yard. So we needed to foster our 3 chickens for a period of time and we've just brought them to a friend of a friend who has a coop she wasn't using.

The problem is that part of the reason she wasn't using her coop was that she has two dogs in the yard now.

We brought the chickens over this morning and the dog jumped at the outside of the chicken wire while I was in the coop with the door not completely closed. Two of the 3 chickens took off through the door and a chase ensued through the yard. Ultimately we got the dog in the house and the chickens in the coop.

I don't think the dog will be able to get in to get the chickens, but he can certainly stress them out, and they may get injured flapping around against the chicken wire trying to get "away."

The "coop" is really a pen, enclosed on the top, which a smaller nesting area that is completely enclosed except for an entry in the pen (and egg collection doors to the outside).

We put some plywood, an old hot-tub cover and some cardboard to cover up some of the chicken wire of the pen and try to create a more enclosed space to help the chickens feel more secure. But right now there is still quite a lot of the chicken wire that the dog and chickens can see each other through.

Any advice about how to deal with the situation?

I was thinking of getting more cardboard to hang (on the inside of the wire) to create a more enclosed space...

BTW, if anyone in San Diego can help with fostering the chickens for a while (especially near North Park...), that would also solve the problem.

Thanks for any advice from those of you with both dogs and chickens about how to help them get along.

I hope things work out ok in your new home and for your birds till you get settled? but there should be some agreement or something...hold harmless agreement....something that protects your investment in your chickens and their fate in this strange place, and person kind enough to care for them in your absence. She may really have little or no control over what her dogs may do if not watched properly. It is very difficult to break an older dog of chicken rustling if it is in it's nature. Especially if not in a permanent situation. Best of luck to you and your birds.

The cardboard/plywood was a good idea. Hopefully over time, the dogs will relax a little. We brought our grils home early August and our dogs went nuts. They were all so scared with the dog running circles around the chicken run. But...he has calmed down a lot. To the point where the hens can free range and he can be outside too. Supervised at all times. So maybe with a little time, the dogs may chill out a bit. Good luck.

Well, to get our dog used to the chickens we held him on a leash for a few weeks while they were free ranging, so he could get used to them and they could get used to him. Eventually, we let him off leash around the chickens ( with supervision, of course! ) and now he can be left alone outside with the chickens and he doesn't hurt them. Although, they hurt him!!! Chase him around the yard, peck him....
lol.png

I'm not sure if you want the dogs to just get used to the chickens, but if you do, you can give that a shot.

Come to think of it, we put ours on a leash also. The first few times, just in case he would charge them. And a few of our chickens are starting to stand their ground when he gets too close. But deep down, I think he thinks he a chicken and just wants to hang with the girls.
wink.png

My chicken gets along with my dog since they are both indoor pets and they see each other 24/ hours heres a pic of them when i took them outside
smile.png

chicken1.jpg

chicken2.jpg

LOL yep i have tons of pics of them, they are best friends. I have no idea what kind of chicken she is though, i collect chickens but i dont know about their breed i just rescue them along with other farm animals.

they can co-exists... all our dogs are here to do a job, look after the place and everything in it. They all live and sleep with the chickens if need be.

Back
Top Bottom