dogs and chickens co-existing?

I have one week old chicks-hatched in our incubator-and my Black Lab has not been the same since. If I didn't know better, I would think we are expecting an earthquake (we live in So Cal) because he is acting so strangely. He seems nervous, doesn't come sometimes when we call him and stays outside the slider door and looks inside the house most of the time (he is an indoor dog). He is eating, drinking, pooping, etc.

Has anyone experienced this with their dogs?

It's all new to him. Our dog acted very strange the day we brought the chicks home. Followed me everywhere, was on edge. Little by little he got used to it and now he and the chickens are good friends. Never have had a problem with him being agressive with the hens. Just takes time for them to adjust. It's all new to him and his world has changed. Give it some time.

I have had nothing but bad luck when it comes to livesock and dogs. I've lost more chickens to dogs than anything else. There are far fewer strays around here than there were a year ago
wink.png
.Seriously though, i'd find someone else to keep the chickens. someone with no dogs.

That is a barred rock. Depends on the specific dog, and also on the breed. Some breeds are better with birds than others--it really has a great deal to do with centuries of training of one sort or another. But even for breeds that are usually fine with birds, there are exceptions that do not. And vice versa.

IMO, unless the dogs calm down DRAMATICALLY and rapidly, the place you are housing them is NOT a good choice. You might try finding someone who has no dogs, a kennel that will board them in its CAT area, not its dog area, a stables or farm that has space you can use. I do suggest getting your own tractor or coop to put them in, perhaps with a chaing link or wire fencing pen.

Primarily, I would worry about chicken wire not being strong enough to hold back a determined canine. And the birds will definitely become stressed. But if this is your only option, I would make certain that the dogs are unable to dig into the pen, because they will try to get in any way possible. The cardboard seems like a good idea to remove some of the visual distraction. But remember, dogs are led by their noses - they will be just as interested knowing that there are birds behind the cardboard, even without seeing them.

A dog that has not been raised with chickens can certainly be reconditioned not to view chickens as prey but this does take time and a good amount of focused attention. Any attention toward the birds must be corrected immediately. We acheived success with a wild dog but it did not happen overnight. The dog we have now is full time part of the flock but he has been with chickens since puppyhood and is a Maremma Sheepdog, bred to guard livestock.

Another problem that you might have is that most dogs owners, even if they are closest friends, do not respond well to other people correcting their animals. Many dog owners treat their dogs as members of the family and forget that they are dogs, not humans. They may get really touchy if you try to recondition their beloved family member. You certainly don't want to stress a friendship. I have close friends who have a hyper dog who jumps on everybody, is all over the furniture, and is basically uncontrolled. When I am there the dog knows immediately that I am not to be fooled with and will lie down or leave the room quietly. I have never used any methods other than an intense look, a grunt of disapproval, and, at last resort, a quick touch to the neck. Although this is not causing any harm at all to the dog, my friends, while they joke that I am the Dog Whisperer, are still noticably uncomfortable and worry that I am hurting the dog's feelings or self-esteem. Nonsense. Some people will never understand how different a dog's mind works than a human. But the fact is this: If the dogs you are dealing with are not corrected immediately and with absolute authority it may only be a matter time before an incident occurs.

I hope that these friends of friends are willing to let you spend a good amount of time with the dogs. Otherwise make sure that enclosure is very secure: MAN'S BEST FRIEND IS A CHICKEN'S WORST ENEMY.

Last edited:
My dog is a husky mix that I rescued. She has ALWAYS chased birds... in fact, one day she was sitting on the porch and saw one and decided she'd chase it. She bounced off the screen and spent the day looking foolish and limping. I figured that might cure the issue but no. lol When I moved out of town I decided to get chickens. My dog was about 8 years old. I put the chicks in a galvanized tub where she could hear them walking around and peeping. Whenever she came over I would tell her they where MINE... and I meant it. Stern voice and all. This was NO game. After a couple days I would hold them in my hand and let her sniff them. I kept the chick protected and would again tell her "MINE!" When we graduated to the yard I kept her on a leash while the chicks walked around. If she laid down she'd get praised and if she got too close she'd be told that they were MINE!. She'd immediately sit down and watch them. To move the chickens outside we put up a dog exercise pen and would sit out there with them. That took a couple weeks and my dog got bored very quickly... and everytime she got near the pen she'd get the whole MINE act. That was it... after that first month she hangs out with them... the chickens come over and steal her food. She doesn't bother the ducks either. Bonus... she's figured out that the chickens get treats so now she can't wait to follow them around so she can eat with them. I absolutely trust her with my birds... she still chases squirrels in vain. The only problem I have now... is that my chickens and ducks are not afraid of dogs so when the fox showed up, everyone stood around. Doh! I also had a German Shephard that tried to attack them and they didn't run. It takes consistency and work... but it can be done.

Britta

I spent a year conditioning our golden mix to the idea of poultry before we got ours. We made a window in the side of the brooder for her to watch them and get use to them. Lots of supervised time later they are all best friends. It took allot of time, but was worth it and I trust her completely. That being said, there are some dogs that it just wont work on.
48643_madelineandlily.jpg

Obviously it depends on the dog. Obedience, temperment, and a little training. Check out my pictures of my 2 week old chicks on top of my German Shepherd Lab. She's interested in them and likes to watch them, but it only took me a week to show her that they're 'your flock' and to 'leave' them alone.

Back
Top Bottom