Dogs and chickens

i have 3 dogs and I only lost a guinea that escaped from the chicken run once, with a few months of training and a cautious eye the dogs have learned to let them be and terrify anything else that makes its way into my yard. The remaining chikens and ducks free range all day. I've lost 1 guinea to my dogs, 1 americana pullet to heat, 1 bantam hen to a hawk, and 1 americana hen to a raccoon in daylight in the last 2 years. when i had 2 geese they ensured/attacked/harassed the dogs and so they wouldn't go near the birds ,but I had the hardest time getting them to come outside at all, it was effective but not practical so no more geese.

Quote:
Our dogs were new to chickens, had never seen them before. I always locked away the dogs when the chickens were free ranging and locked away the chickens when the dogs were out.

Then I saw the advt. here on BYC of how to stop dogs from killing chickens. It is called Instinct to InSync. I Have placed a link on the bottom of my BYC page to info about it because I think it is so good.

As I look at some of the practices people suggested/used, i.e. beating dogs with dead chicken, putting on shock collars etc...they all seem so primative and cruel.

believe me, life is soooo much easier when you train your dogs not to hurt the chickens, and don't have to constantly keep one or the other locked up.

Back
Top Bottom