Dogs and cookie dough

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by KDOGG331, Dec 3, 2016.

  1. KDOGG331

    KDOGG331 Chicken Obsessed

    9,940
    2,313
    456
    Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Gator just jumped on the counter while I was in the other room and ate the thing of cookie dough... then gave himself away by coming and standing outside the door of the room I was in, looking guilty [​IMG]

    But in all seriousness, anything i should do or will it pass?

    I am Googling it and reading different things now but thought I'd ask here.

    The cookie dough was one of those precut square things, chocolate chip.

    [​IMG]

    But we'd already eaten 4-6 squares so it wasn't quite a whole thing but almost.

    He's like a 140 pound black lab/great pyrenees mix.
     
  2. FlyWheel

    FlyWheel Chillin' With My Peeps

    It won't kill him if that's what you're worried about. Yes chocolate is toxic to dogs (and many other animals) but nowhere near in the quantities he ingested. Especially not at his weight. He may be on somewhat of a sugar high for a bit though. [​IMG]
     
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
  3. KDOGG331

    KDOGG331 Chicken Obsessed

    9,940
    2,313
    456
    Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Thanks for the answer! And my dad informed me that he once ate a whole chocolate bar my grandma had gotten one of us and we looked it up then too but I forgot (it was a couple years ago) so I think he'll probably be okay. He seems fine now.

    Plus according to what I've read tonight, milk chocolate is more diluted than other chocolates and/or toll house cookie dough probably isn't that much actual chocolate?

    He'd probably have to eat a few pounds of chocolate?

    Oddly enough, no sugar high. He's sleeping atm. Maybe it will hit later. I thought for sure he would be bouncing off the walls after eating all those cookies LOL
     
  4. drumstick diva

    drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

    84,700
    14,562
    816
    Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I really don't think there is much chocolate to them. I don't know if raw dough (eggs) can cause him any problem either. I just finished eating the last of a batch of BC cookies like yours. I had eaten 2 raw ones first. They had so little chocolate in them it didn't even register on my chocolate meter (ME).

    Many years ago our tiny cocker (12 lbs) got into valentine candy while we were away from home. We couldn't find her anywhere. Then I heard slurping behind the couch. She had knocked the box of candy off an end table and was trying to devour the contents. She didn't even bother to look guilty, with drool running down her lips. We didn't know the danger of chocolate then. What I believe saved her was they were discarded chocolate covered caramels. My mom hated those. The caramels probably took so long to chew, she didn't get to eat many. Thank goodness.

    She belched for quite awhile and did have a bit diarrhea later on but, that was the worst of it. She was a food thief all the days of her life and never showed the slightest bit of compunction .
     
  5. TeeMom

    TeeMom Chillin' With My Peeps

    187
    129
    116
    Jul 26, 2016
    Kansas
    He might have a bit of an upset tummy, but I doubt he will have more complications than that. Chocolate is toxic, but only if they have extremely large quantities (like 1 oz per pound). I can't blame him...the dough is the best part of baking cookies!
     
  6. drumstick diva

    drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

    84,700
    14,562
    816
    Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    also milk chocolate is nowhere as intense as Dark chocolate. The higher percentages of cocoa in so-called 'healthy dark chocolate.' would probably cause rapid grief to a dog.
     
  7. KDOGG331

    KDOGG331 Chicken Obsessed

    9,940
    2,313
    456
    Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Thanks for the answers! Raw eggs don't cause him any problems - in fact, he loves eggs from our girls! I haven't given him any in a little while though since they're molting plus fall/winter so not much egg production these days. Not really enough for him :p but when they were producing I would often give him an egg whenever I collected them or if not every day then every few days and he devoured them, shell and all. Though I did have to put a hole in it for him - he wouldn't crack them. And some days he refused to eat them. But mostly he loves them, I think I'll give him another soon maybe. One time I accidentally dropped something in the nest box and ruined a bunch so I gave him all the cracked ones so he got like 5 eggs that day LOL I just gave him as many as he would take :D tbh I didn't expect him to keep taking them cause like I said he sometimes refuses so I figured he'd be done after a couple but he kept wanting more. But he was perfectly fine.

    Anyway, yeah, I doubt they have much chocolate thankfully. When I make my own I add the whole bag [​IMG]

    And oh wow, that is quite the story and quite the dog! From what I've bene reading, most big dogs (40-60 pounds) should be fine and he's way bigger than that. But then some smaller dogs, like yours, clearly haha, have been perfectly fine and some larger ones have gotten sick so I guess it depends on the dog. But I think food thieves are inevitable with dogs haha

    Our old Lab once stole an entire ham. We had left it out on the counter and it was supposed to be our dinner. He just jumped up and stole it. I guess he just knocked it off? And ate the whole thing. Needless to say, we had to go out to dinner that night... :lau

    He was drinking water for days after but besides that, was perfectly fine.

    I think it is a Lab thing. And clearly a spaniel thing too. :D Gator clearly tapped into his inner Lab side LOL
     
  8. KDOGG331

    KDOGG331 Chicken Obsessed

    9,940
    2,313
    456
    Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts

    Yes I agree, the dough is the best part! Lol I've since forgiven him, it was pretty funny I admit. I was like why do you look so guilty? What did you do? And I walk into the kitchen and there was the little cardboard tray on the floor LOL he should have just hidden! But I guess dogs are like kids, too honest and crimes written all over their faces! Ahahaha

    But tbh I'm less mad he stole it and less worried and more just mad because I wanted to bake and eat those dang cookies myself! LOL
     
  9. KDOGG331

    KDOGG331 Chicken Obsessed

    9,940
    2,313
    456
    Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts



    That makes a lot of sense! The higher the cocoa or cacao or whatever it is, the worse for them, right?

    Although tbh I think dark chocolate is gross anyway so no worries of him getting into that here.

    And wow so like almost 9 pounds for him right? Though even like 4 would probably cause some problems. I would never let him get anywhere close to that amount though. I don't know where or why you'd even get/have that amount of chocolate at one time haha
     
  10. TeeMom

    TeeMom Chillin' With My Peeps

    187
    129
    116
    Jul 26, 2016
    Kansas

    Exactly! It's a bit excessive. And yes...the higher the cacao, the more toxic. I'm opposite...I LOVE the dark stuff! But still...there's no way your guy could eat enough chocolate to affect him much, I don't imagine. I don't care how much you love chocolate! Lol
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by