Dogs and Ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by wafflesandmoe, Mar 16, 2015.

1. wafflesandmoe

wafflesandmoe Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2013
    Hey everyone! So I'm thinking of getting some more ducks, probably Pekins and Black swedish, anyways I'm worried about my dog. He is a bird-dog and has gone hunting for pheasants his whole life. However, when i had a duck and chicken before, he was always more interested in the chicken and didn't care as much about the duck. But, is there anything i could do to try and train him to be good around the ducks and not try to kill them? Any suggestions would be much appreciated, thanks!

2. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    you could always try to train him but if from a puppy he was taught to kill and catch birds then i dont really know if that can be undone

3. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    Instinct is VERY hard to retrain. While most bird dogs only flush or retrieve, that can still hurt, frighten or kill a duck (or chicken).

I know people on here will allow their dogs with their ducks. It is just my personal opinion that it is just not a good idea. Only takes a second for something to go horribly wrong. Believe me, I speak from experience. I have posted before about an incident I had with my dog and my guinea pig.

The other thing that is very upsetting to me is that when the dog hurts, or does something worse, to or with a duck, owners will often be very angry at the dog. When my dog got my pig, I blamed myself and only myself (still do, I will never forgive myself). I did not punish my dog, or give him away. He is A DOG and I should have been smarter. So, just a word to say that if you value your ducks, and dog for that matter, think hard about whether it is worth it to you to take the chance.

4. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    Just ask 18angovem, he's caught his dog with one of his birds in her jaws on several occasions ;;

5. 18angovem

18angovem Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2014
    Warren Pennsylvania
    Yeah! I have a bird dog and birds! But the good side is that bird dogs are trained to just carry the bird in their jaws and not eat the bird. I have had my dog come up to me with the birds in her mouth but the birds were just fine! But you do have to worry about the birds going into shock.

6. 18angovem

Jun 15, 2014
    Warren Pennsylvania
    Bird dogs arent trained to kill birds... Just to bring birds back.

7. seashoreduck

seashoreduck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2013
    Hunting dogs, or all dogs with the words "bull" or "retriever" or "spaniel" or "hound" or "terrier" in the name should never be fully trusted around small critters unless they were specifically raised with them. Even that can be a gamble.

Shepherds and toy breeds are probably more likely to be well behaved, depending on when they were introduced. But dogs are prey animals.

You wouldn't bring a duck to a mealworm farm and trust the duck.

Long short, don't risk it.

1 person likes this.
  8. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    Yeah...my mom has westies, and when I stayed there for Christmas with my kitties one of them caught my cat Stu and shook him! He's not getting within a ten mile radius of my Wobbles, that's for sure x_x;;

9. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all

10. 18angovem

Jun 15, 2014
    Warren Pennsylvania
    Oh well at least up here you cn judge how good a bird dog is by if it kills its catch or not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by