Dogs are killing my ducks and chickens. How do I safely repel them? Ultra sonic?

They are locked up. Both chickens and ducks at night. During the day I do let them out, they can’t wait for me to open up the gates each morning. I want them to be happy but not attacked, at least not while they are roaming on my private property
Unfortunately if you keep doing things the same way you can expect the same results.

I was curious about a figure - not that I’d go that route. It’s a weird and sometimes hostile world, my view has always been to keep a low profile and try to work out problems before getting someone else involved. One might come home and see their mailbox smashed up or something like that. Then you get the feeling someone is probably pissed at you.
We may have to respectfully part at this philosophical fork in the road (the mailbox has already been smashed). I do wish you the best, and am sorry for your loss.

Until you and your neighbors come to some kind of understanding and they agree to keep their dogs off your property your livestock is not safe free ranging on your property. Smashing mail boxes never solves anything.

We may have to respectfully part at this philosophical fork in the road (the mailbox has already been smashed). I do wish you the best, and am sorry for your loss.
It wasn’t my mailbox, no mailbox was ever smashed, my point was something like that might happen if you go about things the wrong way. But this is becoming a long thread, things go out of context quickly and I’m having to repeat myself. Beginning to go off the rails and become no longer relevant.

Last edited:
It wasn’t my mailbox, no mailbox was ever smashed, my point was something like that might happen if you go about things the wrong way. But this is becoming a long thread, things go out of context quickly and I’m having to repeat myself. Beginning to go off the rails and become no longer relevant.
I was speaking figurative as in the damage has already been done X3. What can we do if it happens to you again and you don't even get 10 dollars? Agreed, you've got our opinions.

First time, talk to owner. Second time, talk to owner and tape conversation, demand compensation. Third time, if the deed has already been done, talk to Animal Control. If I caught the dog in the midst of a third massacre, he’d be met with a shotgun. Where I live it is legal to shoot any dog loose in an area where livestock or poultry are kept.
I am an animal lover, breeding cats, keeping dogs and chickens. It would break my heart to have to shoot a dog, but I will not tolerate repeated massacres and financial losses due to an irresponsible dog owner.

We had five leghorns (the whole flock) killed by a neighbours dog. According the law, I was to call the township, they send out an assessor to value the damage, then they go to the dog owner, get compensation for the chickens and the cost of the investigation. Then they seize the dog and put it down. I didn’t want any harm to come to the dog, which actually belonged to the daughter, so I didn’t call the township.
My neighbour is a good neighbour, and he quickly agreed to pay for the chickens. I made it very clear that the dog gets a free pass this time, but if I saw him on my property again, it would not end well for the dog.
This incident brought to the forefront several issues they were having with the dog, and it has been rehomed.
Friends of theirs generously replaced our chickens, not leghorns, but Easter Eggers and olive eggers, and everyone is on good terms.
I have read the reason for destroying a livestock killing dog is because once they've got the taste of fresh kill in their mouths they WILL do it again.

It's also why dogs that attack humans are put down, they can't be trusted.

I have read the reason for destroying a livestock killing dog is because once they've got the taste of fresh kill in their mouths they WILL do it again.
I have read that reason, but I have also read plenty of stories of dogs who killed a few chickens (especially when the dog was young), and later learned to be trustworthy with chickens. Such stories are especially common with the livestock guardian breeds.

So I do not think it is true for all dogs.

But I do think the dogs will continue to kill livestock if no-one trains them, and if no-one keeps them home. Those points have more to do with the owner than the dog, but of course there is only so much you can do about the owner. If you kill the dog, you know that particular dog will not be back to cause trouble. And it may motivate the owner to keep any future dogs at home.

You have the right to protect your live stock get a 330 4 way beaver trap drive two poles to mount the trap upright and put hot dogs on the trigger they end up with a sudden death keep quiet and disope of it .If you wish or you live trap it and carry it to the pound or do as you wish you done been way fair enough.Good day

You have the right to protect your live stock get a 330 4 way beaver trap drive two poles to mount the trap upright and put hot dogs on the trigger they end up with a sudden death keep quiet and disope of it .If you wish or you live trap it and carry it to the pound or do as you wish you done been way fair enough.Good day
Then how about some little kid wanders through that 12 foot gap and goes "oh look, hot dogs, yum!"
Besides I'm pretty sure that is very much illegal, as is your other idea of catching foxes on baited treble hooks.

Then how about some little kid wanders through that 12 foot gap and goes "oh look, hot dogs, yum!"
Besides I'm pretty sure that is very much illegal, as is your other idea of catching foxes on baited treble hooks.
Yes anyone caught using these devises to trap domestic dogs could be charged with a felony.

Back
Top Bottom