Dogs are killing my ducks and chickens. How do I safely repel them? Ultra sonic?

When a property owner chooses to exercise their right to turn their livestock loose on their own property they accept the risk that things can go wrong while they're home or gone.

My yard is fenced but the drive way has a 12 foot gap and I can’t install a gate.

A dog has 3x wipes out 30 ducks. I talked to the owner but it continues to happen.

It usually happens at night and it’s not always the same dog.

I don’t want to be mean to the dog, just keep them out.

Any ideas?
Can't you pen your birds at night?

I have had issues with the neighbors' dogs quite a few times. When I mentioned it to him a couple of weeks ago, I now see nothing has changed. In the past when I have had attacks on my chickens and ducks, they were in their coops behind welded wire, secured by the kind of staples you have to hammer in. The more attacks I have the more I reinforce my setup so I will get fewer(hopefully) losses. I feel for all when they loose their livestock, it hurts every time. It just seems like everyone but you gets away without having to do anything different. They just go on living their lives as if you were not hurt. It's just a chicken, duck, right, nope it's you time invested in caring for these animals. Trust me, it hurts every time. When I mentioned on this site one time that I wished I could just shoot the neighbors dog that killed my livestock, all the dog owners on this site were up in arms ready to call the law on me. My baby girl owns a dog, she used to own two. One of the dogs chased and scratched the neighbors little girl. I put a bullet in it's head. It was not pleasant but necessary. I will not have any dogs on my property attacking little children. That being said, I suppose dog lovers would rather I have taken it to the vet and had it put serenely to sleep. I am just saying people act like they are sorry for your loss until it comes time for them to spend money for something their dog did. good luck with the neighborhood dogs, sorry i rambled on so...

If you cannot make the property or the pens dog proof, shoot the dog with a proper gun. (Remember at all time that it is not legal to shoot the owner..).

Can't you pen your birds at night?
They are locked up. Both chickens and ducks at night. During the day I do let them out, they can’t wait for me to open up the gates each morning. I want them to be happy but not attacked, at least not while they are roaming on my private property

Yeah. Can you add love, emotional distress? It does add up. Be it $45 or $450, a renter in the house offered me what he could and apologized and said he’d talk to his roommate, the dog owner. I did appreciate that. Which also calmed me down.

I came home and the yard was quiet. Nothing. Something was wrong and it didn’t take long. Then I saw (it was two dogs) coming back for more. One duck was hiding under a car and I picked her up and put her in the baby chicken cage but she didn’t make it. She was in very bad shape and bleeding everywhere.
I figured since you're a forgiving person that I'd leave off the emotional distress and so whatever all the rest tallies up to is fair.

I figured since you're a forgiving person that I'd leave off the emotional distress and so whatever all the rest tallies up to is fair.

I was curious about a figure - not that I’d go that route. It’s a weird and sometimes hostile world, my view has always been to keep a low profile and try to work out problems before getting someone else involved. One might come home and see their mailbox smashed up or something like that. Then you get the feeling someone is probably pissed at you.

Back
Top Bottom