Dogs attacking chickens????

aussie

Hatching
11 Years
Jun 7, 2008
Hi,
This is my first post. I'm a newbie to having chickens. Only had them 2 weeks. Our pet dogs attacked chickens today, hope they will be ok? Introduced dogs slowly but while the girls having a run outside, my 3yr old daughter accidentlly let the dogs out.
The staffy only followed the leader a mini sausage dog (who has had it in for the chickens since day 1). What do i do for the small wound on chicken leg? & what do i do keep dogs & trying to train them?
From aussie

Sad to say, but some dogs never behave around chickens. Some breeds are worse than others. A good antibiotic cream works good on wounds, but chickens heal pretty fast and nothing but the cream should be needed to keep it from getting infected. Training the dogs is probably gonna be mission impossible for ya since they have already experienced the thrill of the hunt. Would be best, even if they take to behavior modification, to never leave them alone with access to your birds. Good luck, and welcome to the forum....

On the dog whisperer, there was a clip on training a dog to get along with chickens,
Hope it helps!
hmm.png

1. Keep the dogs or chickens locked up.
2. keep the dogs or chickens locked up.
3. See rules 1 and 2.

I don't care who's dog it is or how well they are "trained". Do not trust any dog around chickens.

I've got two dogs that will kill a chciken with you standing in the yard watching and we have had the dogs for 5 years and chickens for 7. We keep the dogs up if there is the slightest chance a chicken might wander by. I'm trying to get dh to get rid of the dogs.

Sadly, ALL animals look at chickens as food. If you don't want them eaten, you need to protect them. You may be able to train a dog, but have to think about what they will do if you're not around. You may be better off keeping them separate, and putting a child proof gadget on the gate. Welcome to chickeninfoINC, LOL

Hi,
Thanks everyone. I was trying to keep chickens & dogs apart. Bit tricky in our yard. So had dogs inside just that they pushed past our 3 yr old daughter who was trying to come outside.
Its the morning after & the sausage dog doing all sorts of tricks to get up the backyard to the girls.
We decided last night to fence off the yard better. Still will do so, but think the dog must go. Will keep the staffy, feeling very sorry for herself!
BTW, Girls r ok. 2 r fine back to normal. The other 2 not comming out yet, missing feathers & bite mark on leg, cannot stand on it yet. All eating & drinking, good sign i think.
Can not find a site like this closer to home. So thanks again.
smile.png

from aussie

Back
Top Bottom