Dogs besides Pyrenees and other large breeds that make good LGDs

I have 2 Boston terriers. Once they figure out that chickens are good, and everything else is bad, they've been the perfect dogs! Neither one came to us as a puppy. They know they can kill all the frogs and squirrels they can catch, they ask what snakes they can kill (any poisonous ones) and any mammal that gets near the chicken barn. They've killed foxes, possums, and other dogs. They don't go after the coyotes, but they will let us know when they are out there, and will chase them down when we're following behind with the gun. They will also chase after the raptors (falcons, hawks, eagles) that get too close, and keep the bobcats away!

Both of these dogs came from the city, and chased cats, killed everything in their path, and were escape artists. They were attracted to the squawking flapping chickens until they learned the chickens shouldn't do that. It took about 2 times of a firm "NO!" and they learned it. Now, when they hear a chicken squawking and flapping, they run to investigate! They keep the hens from fighting, and the hens will run towards the dogs when the roosters are chasing them! They are great with the baby chicks, too!

They don't leave our property, and only go out of our sight to investigate strange noises or smells that they feel are threats. They have excellent hearing and have the ability to decide if an animal is friend or foe, before it's too late. Mine sleep inside, though. I did get an Akbash/Golden Retriever mix who loves the chickens and will bark at night to alert the Bostons, but he won't initiate anything. He's so safe that a wild rabbit made a nest in his bed while he was in it!! But, he will back up the smaller dogs, and that is important. He's only about 8 months old, so I'm hoping he'll get more confident as he gets older.

One of the best dogs we had was a mutt. He looked like a black Winn-Dixie. I calle him my chupacabra because he was such am ugly puppy. Lol! He looked like maybe a schnauzer/labradoodle mix. He was smart, intelligent, and gentle...unless you messed with his family.

I think if you are looking for a smaller dog, terriers definitely have the aggression and intelligence that a good protection dog needs. You just have to focus their prey drive. There are so many different kinds and they all have different temperments. Figure out what you do and don't want. I don't want something that has to be groomed. That knocked out the Airedale for me.
hmm.png
I love them and have always wanted one, but don't have the time or discipline to groom them, and no way am I going to take them somewhere and pay someone else! Lol!

Narrow it down to a few (4 or 5) breeds and do your research. Go to the pound. Look on craigslist. Be familiar enough with the breeds to know if a mutt has that breed in it. If you see someone giving puppies away at a store, ask them a few questions. Find out where they've been, what other animals those people have. This can tell you a lot. If they've been around farm animals, that's a good start.

Good luck and don't get too hung up on purebreds.

Shelly

i would say border collie they are smaller 35-40 lbs you can train them to do anything.the best hearders very good protecters.we have a one year old an you cant believe how easy they are to train an work with.ours we do agilty with he heards our chickens sometimes but mostly work with my girls at agilty.they are also very sweet i love ours sooooooooooooo much.

Back
Top Bottom