1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dogs eating chicken feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kara_leigh, May 17, 2011.

1. kara_leigh

kara_leigh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Bradleyville, MO
    My chickens free range all day, but I do scatter feed on the ground for them to peck and scratch at. I don't mind if a stray wild bird eats some (like we have a pair of doves that have been hanging around) but I was having a problem with my dogs eating it. They would eat all of it and the chickens wouldn't have any. I was having to feed them A LOT of feed. I decided to mix some cayenne pepper in with the feed today. The dogs tried it once and left it alone after that. I wonder why? lol I haven't had to feed the chickens nearly as much today as I normally do. [​IMG] I'm glad I remembered that little trick. [​IMG]

2. ozarkmomma

ozarkmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2009
    the ozarks
    I'll have to remember that trick. Not only do my dogs like the egg crumble, so do my horses. [​IMG]

3. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    My dogs love chicken feed, guinea feed, goat feed. You name it they love it. Crazy dogs.

4. crossgirl

crossgirl Day Dream Believer

Mar 15, 2011
    Lakeland, FL
    My dogs prefer the end result, chicken poop! [​IMG]
    I wonder if the cayene would pass through the chicken's system and into the poo.

5. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    [​IMG] Mine do too. And goat and cats poop. YUCK

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Thank you for saying it, because I've been trying to resist the urge to.

Dogs eating chicken feed? What's the difference if they eat it before or after it goes through the chicken? [​IMG] [​IMG]

Seriously, I only keep feeders in the coop, so my dogs don't have an opportunity to get into the chicken feed itself. The totes that store the feed are kept on our screened porch. I do occasionally toss out scratch grains in the yard, but the dogs don't have any interest in that for some reason. They do have a BIG interest in the end result the chickens deposit all over the yard.

7. ChickInDelight

ChickInDelight Never an Empty Nest

Apr 27, 2011
    Browntown, VA
    Unreal. I caught my dog eating the feed out of a dish along with the ducks, but I thought he was just doing it out of jealousy. He is not really a chow hound. He only heats his own dogfood while I watch him. I can't believe he may actually like that stuff! [​IMG]

8. ellieroo

ellieroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Quote:Mine too !!! [​IMG]

9. hannakat

hannakat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Beaver County, PA
    Quote:This is very interesting!!! I'm going to give it a try. I'm assuming the chickens don't mind the cayene?

10. SunnyCalifornia

SunnyCalifornia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA
    My ole dog (in my avatar) likes to sneak in the pen when the door is open and the chicks are free ranging. He eats as much as he can as quickly as possible. My other dog prefers the poop, eating it, and rolling in it. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by