Dogs eating chicken feed

kara_leigh

Songster
8 Years
May 3, 2011
Bradleyville, MO
My chickens free range all day, but I do scatter feed on the ground for them to peck and scratch at. I don't mind if a stray wild bird eats some (like we have a pair of doves that have been hanging around) but I was having a problem with my dogs eating it. They would eat all of it and the chickens wouldn't have any. I was having to feed them A LOT of feed. I decided to mix some cayenne pepper in with the feed today. The dogs tried it once and left it alone after that. I wonder why? lol I haven't had to feed the chickens nearly as much today as I normally do.
wee.gif
I'm glad I remembered that little trick.
wink.png

Quote:
Thank you for saying it, because I've been trying to resist the urge to.

Dogs eating chicken feed? What's the difference if they eat it before or after it goes through the chicken?
hu.gif
gig.gif

Seriously, I only keep feeders in the coop, so my dogs don't have an opportunity to get into the chicken feed itself. The totes that store the feed are kept on our screened porch. I do occasionally toss out scratch grains in the yard, but the dogs don't have any interest in that for some reason. They do have a BIG interest in the end result the chickens deposit all over the yard.

Unreal. I caught my dog eating the feed out of a dish along with the ducks, but I thought he was just doing it out of jealousy. He is not really a chow hound. He only heats his own dogfood while I watch him. I can't believe he may actually like that stuff!
th.gif

My ole dog (in my avatar) likes to sneak in the pen when the door is open and the chicks are free ranging. He eats as much as he can as quickly as possible. My other dog prefers the poop, eating it, and rolling in it.
sickbyc.gif

Back
Top Bottom