Dogs got one of my ducks and I can't find another

lynepie

In the Brooder
Sep 13, 2015
It was such a nice day, I thought I would let the ducks out for a while. I have had 2 sick girls and they had started looking better so I thought I would let them come in and take a bath in the tub. While I was getting them settled, I went back out to see a dog running off with one of my other girls. I went screaming like the wild woman I was and he dropped her, but she only lived a couple minutes. I got the others settled and realized another one is missing. I spent about 3 hours looking for her, but can't find her. I keep going back out in hopes that she comes back. Do you think a Runner Duck will come back at night or will she hide out till she hears the other ducks? I am so upset. Can't stand that people let their dogs run free on other peoples property.

I'm so sorry this has happened to you. I would think she would wait until it got light to come out. She maybe hiding somewhere. I would get up early and look for her. Good luck I hope you find her and god bless.

I feel the same about other peoples dogs killing other animals my rabbit and a few chickens were killed by a red healer owned by a lady who didn't care if her dog did anything!
somad.gif
he.gif

I am very sorry for your loss. It is very hard to lose any animal. I personally have lost 3 ducks. Every duck that I have lost, I have promised that no other ducks would face the same fate and I have taken action to prevent that. Those actions are shoring up defences, altering routines, doing whatever needs to be done to insure those things don't happen again. In your case, although you may take action against the dog owner, the real problem is that a dog can get to your ducks. If finances are tight, you can make your ducks a small dog proof run so they are safe. Then as you are able, you can expand it, or even dog proof your whole yard. While you are planning this, consider other predators that may be in your area. Raccoons and opossums are in most areas of the US and many other predators are in various regions. There is a vast amount of information available in the "Predators and Pests" forum detailing how to deal with whatever might be in your area. I hope your runner comes back.

I don't know where you live, but on the high plains, when dogs break in and kill livestock, we shoot them. Not usually a kill shot, just a .22 or birdshot in the hind end. They don't come back. If they learn slow, they won't be so lucky the second time. I can sympathize with your loss. I lost 5 Orpingtons and 1 Khaki Campbell to dogs this summer. Your lost one should return to coop/enclosure by dawn. I hate to tell you this, but if your ducks make an easy mark, the dog will be back. Reinforce your enclosure/run! I'm sorry for your loss!

I am looking at the electric poultry fencing for now, has anyone tried it? I can't fence the whole ten acres and am having trouble getting my husband to fence a little at a time, but this may be what helps my case for a good fence.

I'm planning on buying premier semipermanent goat fencing unless I hear otherwise. It looks pretty good for affordability, durability, and keeping out most predators. There is also a gate piece you can get. So sorry about you baby :(

Last edited:
I am looking at the electric poultry fencing for now, has anyone tried it? I can't fence the whole ten acres and am having trouble getting my husband to fence a little at a time, but this may be what helps my case for a good fence.
@lynepie and @FaerieGlynne We thought it looked like a great solution as well. What we found out though, is if you have a male or males who are getting frisky, sometimes a young duck will run, trying to escape a drakes advances, into and get tangled in the fencing because it appears they will fit through it. We found one of our ducks completely wrapped up in a section of fence with no way of knowing how long she had been there. It was long enough that in her struggle to get free she cut herself on the tops and bottoms of both wing roots. She healed fine but after that I removed the poultry fence until I can use it as a perimeter solution and not a "one and only". Your mileage may vary. I'm glad we didn't have the electric unit turned on when she did that.

Troy & Tina

Back
Top Bottom