Dogs...HELP!

neenerbutt92

Chirping
9 Years
Sep 1, 2010
Does anyone know how I can train my dogs to stop killing chickens? I love my birds and my dogs...but even then the dogs are tied up they kill chickens. I NEED HELP!
hit.gif

Oh dear. It will take alot of time and alot of patience. You will get lots of advice and various methods of doing so. Until you are able to train them, can you build a run for your chickens? It doesn't sound like it's safe for them to free range at this time.

Last edited:
Put dog on leash or chain...Once they start the habit is it next to impossible to break...

What breed (or breeds) is your dog? Some breeds of dogs will never learn to not kill chickens, others can be trained.

Have to agree with geebs. I have raised Chickens and dogs for most of my 58 years and once a dog kills anything it is very hard if not impossible to break them.
On a good note A dog raised from a pup and trained early by a good Rooster won't ever bother the other animals.
I have 8 dogs from small house dogs to large herd dogs. My Chiickens. ducks, guineas, and pigions all free range with no problems.

I've caught my little hound dog with one of my little chicks in his mouth before. BOY was HE in trouble. He got a good swat on the butt, and since hes such a good learner, he learned very quickly that hes not supposed to do that. however, I do agree with above posters. Dogs, normally, once they start that bad habit, it's very hard IF not impossible to break them. If you wouldn't mind telling us, what breed dogs do you have? Also are they inside or outside? If they're inside dogs, simply keep them inside, and let them out ONLY on a leash. I'll also need to know whether your birds are free-range or not?

I trained mine. One of them once killed a chicken; now they roam freely together, and the dogs ignore the chickens, even while eating a treat the dogs are interested in. Just teach a "no" or "leave it" command. I don't even have to give the command any more.

An untrained dog is not a happy dog. Very often they are quite fearful or anxious. If you don't know how to train them, read a good book, learn from a trainer, learn from someone who has well trained dogs, even watch on Animal Planet how it's done (It's Me or the Dog is a good one.)

You have chosen to be guardian to both predator and prey here. It sounds like there have been killings more than once. To be certain this doesn't happen again, the dogs simply cannot have access to the birds. A tied up dog cannot kill a chicken unless that dog has access to the chickens while tied up. This is not a serious chicken protection system. ERG.
JJ

Back
Top Bottom