Dogs!! Help!

dainerra.......I won't carry this any further so I will considered non argumentive person, but it's strange you would keep you dogs inside to protect them, but not afford 'some old chicken' the same advantage. My dog has a purpose and he knows it. But when my dog goes out to do his thing, I'm out with him with my rifle for his, the chickens and my protection. Like 9Catsz said, at that point I do shoot to kill.

pt

no, I have a shotgun to protect my chickens. My dogs are to protect the kids
smile.png
I also keep a secure run. I give one warning on dogs in my yard. After that, they get shot.

ETA: why would I risk several hundred+ dollars on vet bills for my dogs?

Last edited:
I also live in arkansas so I know what you mean. However you say dogs are a dime a dozen I would counter that .22 bullets are cheaper. I let a dog walk for months, because he didn't try to tear up my pens or terrorize the birds. One day I didn't get my gate fully latched and the chickens squeezed out the bottom. Said dog killed 2 and its a miracle he didn't kill them all. You could say it was my fault that the birds got loose, but both were killed less than a foot from their pen well inside my property lines, the dog used to live at the opposite end of the road, he was well outside of his bounds. I now strictly enforce a leash law on my property. Any uncontrolled dog doesn't make it back home. One family had a pack of 4-5 that they let run every 4th weekend all summer with regularity. After their second dog didn't return home I think they took a hint.

Back
Top Bottom