dog's pad skin torn off

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by maple, Jul 17, 2011.

1. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Songster

Apr 15, 2011
    Hey Maple, you might try liquid children's aspirin if you can find a reliable dosage. It is sweetened liquid usually, and easy to hide in food. When my rats need pain killers, they readily lick it up straight from the syringe. [​IMG] Crushed tablets can also be hidden pretty easily though, and then are easy to digest. Nella has a good point though, if the pain is there but not too great, it can help keep them from causing further injury.

She's back to her old self...took her a little less than a week til she was springing around again (at mach ten). The bandage really helped stop her from licking at her foot, but if you have a really mouthy dog, you'll want to make sure they don't eat it!

2. maple

maple Songster

Apr 28, 2010
    ha ha... a really mouthy dog...uh, she accidently mouthed my mom's boob last night when granny stopped petting her. [​IMG]
    She really is a goofy dog.

Oh yeah, I have children's tylanol. thanks.

3. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Songster

Apr 15, 2011
    I think they actually need aspirin, because I *think* motrin and tylenol is not good for dogs. Check with someone else on that though. Think there are some vet techs on this board!

4. maple

maple Songster

Apr 28, 2010
    I think you are right...I think I do remember seeing that before.

Thanks for the heads up.

5. maple

maple Songster

Apr 28, 2010
    aw man, it's both her front paws. Her left one is flappin in the wind. ugh, what do I do with that? It's almost like it should be snipped off. darn it. poor girl.

6. classicsredone

classicsredone Songster

Jan 6, 2011
    Crunchy California
    You could try crushing them up and mixing them into some peanut butter if you only have enteric coated. That should help with digestion.

7. BorderKelpie

BorderKelpie Songster

Mar 1, 2009
    outside Dallas
    Tylenol is toxic to dogs - asprin only please.

I hope she is feeling better soon.

8. Squirrelgirl88

Squirrelgirl88 Chirping

May 3, 2011
    Central Ohio
    Our lab mixs has done this also - you can buy "liquid bandage" or "New skin" in the first aid aisle - also in the pet aisle they have a spray on liquid bandage. I prefer the human formula because it comes with an applicator not just a spray. I put this on ths pad to keep out dirt and other nasties. You still have to keep them from licking it. I went to a second hand store and bought baby socks. (the clerk thought i was nuts) put the sock on and then use medical tape above the leg joint to "tighten" the sock and keep it from slipping off.

Actually if you look in my first aid kit right now there is a baby sock in next to the box of gauze pads. [​IMG]

Good luck.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  9. sheila3935

sheila3935 Songster

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    At the feed stoer they have vetraycin Its pricey but good. Neosporin and vet wrap.Give asprin only! No tylenol or ibuprofen. Try to keep her quiet easier said then done. She will get better as long as she doesnt get it infected. Lots of good yummy treats while she heals [​IMG]

10. maple

maple Songster

Apr 28, 2010
    I do remember that tylonal is toxic...thanks. I mispoke.

She's very tender today. I have plenty of baby socks still actually...I did realize the size I grabbed last night was an issue as she shook them off. I have wrap at my old house...I'm off to do errands and will grab it. Thanks everyone.

oh and I crushed the pill up last night and folded it in some American cheese...that worked.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: