Dogs

Sorry! I would pursue the matter! I have dogs and take care of them and do not let them run. Why people are so negligent with their animals is beyond reason!

Sorry to hear about the loss of your chickens. It is unfortunate that some people have no concept of the commitment it takes to properly raise and care for an animal. They rely instead on Mother Nature to kick in and magically provide food and shelter for their animals. Sadly it is the animals that wind up suffering in the end.

Someone has already suggested to beef up your fencing. I would also like to recommend to get a young pup similar to your current dog to train and raise to take her place when it comes her time.

Also you may have to consider building a secure run area for your chickens until the situation with the neighbors are resolved.

Check into your local ordinances and see if there is a nuisance ordinance on the books. Here in Louisville, if the police visit a home more than 3 times and the residents are suspected of any kind of illegal activity, the city can evict them, seize the property, board it up and sell it at public auction.

Also if their property has become an eyesore in the neighborhood, then some other places to contact would be the local Health Dept, Building and Safety, Animal Control, and the county offices as well.

Quote:
Just curious, what'd you do? Did the neighbor at least pay you for them? Is the dog dead? hehheh
somad.gif

I live on a road where most of the neighbors are great. But everyone has one that isn't and he is the one who owned the dog. They use to let her run and when I moved in I complained to animal control everytime it came in the yard. He is good friends with the neighbor that owns the dog and the good old boy system was in place. So I just kept the dogs and would call at 3 or 4 am to tell them their dogs where on my porch come and get them. So it didn't take long before they started to tie them up.

Now they let them loose at about 5am. When she got my chickens I was right behind her and caught him as he was coming back from hooking her to her chain. I told him that she had murdered 18 of my chickens he said not my dog, never mind the chicken feathers on her mouth. Calling the cops would do no good as he is retired DNR so I put a stronger electric fence up and she gets hit hard at least 2x's a week. I even shovel the snow away from the electric fence so it stays strong. It's worth it to hear her yell a couple of times a week.

My other neighbors surprised me, one by one they all stopped by to ask if I needed any help and to let me know that they were behind me and that if they see that dog in their yards it was dead. They also wrote that neighbor a collective letter telling him they were tired of what he was pulling in the neighbor hood and they were not going to let it happen any more.

He has been alot better but I don't know if it is because of the letter or because the week after my chickens were killed he had a massive heart attack and darn near died. I am taking shooting lessons and once I know I can shoot and kill not miss or wound I will not be letting anything in my yard.

Accicents happen but if your animal gets out you better be right behind it as far as I am concerned, if not then you are responsable for what that animal does.

Still praying you find your babies.

So sorry you had to come home to that. I wish you lots of luck in locating owners of the dogs and your missing chickens.

Quote:
Agreed but ya can't shoot the owners. I lost 2 deer in my farmed herd to dogs this last week. I HATE other proples dogs on my property and I do not put up with it.

Back
Top Bottom