Doing a meat breed comparison, White Rocks and Cornish X

Thanks, Bossroo! I'm glad to hear someone that has actually done comparison on this. I'll add it to my permanent mental files!
At about what weight to do you process those smaller chickens? A too live alone and don't have roast chicken as often as i'd like becasue even the smallest fryers usually economical at the store are too much meat for me, and little 'game hens' are usually priced high. It would be nice to maybe raise some the size we commonly find like in supermarket delis as fresh rotisserie roasted little chickens.That size is harder to find and seldom at a lower price or on specail.

Last edited:
I harvest my straight run CornishX between 30-35 days ( depending on favoirable weather, other plans, etc) ... average processed weight is 1 1/2 + /- lbs.
droolin.gif

Are you limiting the feed when you do this, or just letting them eat/grow as they will? I was wondering because I have been limiting feed, and at about 30 days mine are right about two pounds each, live weight. I like mine to process out bigger though, I need to feed a family of five with each one.
I harvest my straight run CornishX between 30-35 days ( depending on favoirable weather, other plans, etc) ... average processed weight is 1 1/2 + /- lbs.
droolin.gif

Are you limiting the feed when you do this, or just letting them eat/grow as they will? I was wondering because I have been limiting feed, and at about 30 days mine are right about two pounds each, live weight. I like mine to process out bigger though, I need to feed a family of five with each one.

I have done both...so far, I have seen no health issues ( at least in my experience ) when I harvest at this 30-35 day young age. Raising them longer, I would recomend limiting their feed intake starting at about 3 weeks of age. ( 12-16 hours full feed then 12-8 hours no feed.)

Bossroo/others,
I am planning to process my next batch very early as well. I was thinking this would help minimize health issues, reduce the massive poo mess, and hopefully make the meat even more tender. Have you found this to be true? I was wondering about the demand for selling them that size. I can only handle the mess they make for a short time before I want them gone. I was thinking about selling only that small size, even though I know some like larger birds.
Thanks

Last edited:
Bossroo/others,
I am planning to process my next batch very early as well. I was thinking this would help minimize health issues, reduce the massive poo mess, and hopefully make the meat even more tender. Have you found this to be true? I was wondering about the demand for selling them that size. I can only handle the mess they make for a short time before I want them gone. I was thinking about selling only that small size, even though I know some like larger birds.
Thanks

YUP !!! When you process early there is a less of a chance of losses. Lot less fuss and mess ! The meat is oh so TENDER .
yesss.gif
As for demand... many grocery stores in our neighborhood that offer the ready to eat Cornish Game Hens are mostly / nearly always sold out. For private sales, one needs to poll one's ( potential) customers for their preference / willingness to purchace a smaller bird.

Hey CuteChick,

It's 30 days and this inquiring mind wants to know.

How much do you two bigger roosters weigh now?

OK Egghead, sorry I took so long, it's gardening season! LOL Here we are at 31 days old:

For the CC chick, it is 2 pounds, 2 ounces. The White Rock is at 10.5 ounces. Neither breed has shown any health issues. The only losses I have had with either of them are one of the WRs was DOA at the time of their arrival from the PO. Other than that, both breeds have been healthy and strong. I have the CCs separate from the WRs and my laying pullets, sadly I lost two of my pullets due to the CCs actually trampling them at feeding time. Lesson learned, separate earlier next time. :/

Sorry for not updating recently, I can't find my camera! I weighed them last a little over a week ago though, at that point the WR were at 1 pound 3 ounces, the CC at 3 pounds 13 ounces. I will try and weigh them again tonight at roosting time, because I know for sure that the CC weigh quite a bit more than that now! I am guessing the larger CC are around five pounds, and I am aiming at about 6-7 pounds live weight before I butcher. If I do it any smaller I don't get enough meat, I need each bird to feed a family of five a full meal, LOL.
All of the birds, both WR and CC, are both still quite healthy and vigorous. One of the CCs was having some leg problems, but oddly enough it wasn't weight related. I am not sure what it was, she couldn't seem to make her legs go where she wanted them too or something. She was just scuttling backwards instead of standing up. However, I put her in a cage by herself and made sure she had feed and water where she could reach it, and she recovered fully without any other help. She is running around with the others now, I can't even tell which one it is now.

Back
Top Bottom