1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Doing it wrong (so you don't have to)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chiques chicks, Feb 17, 2016.

1. chiques chicks

chiques chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Absolutely nothing wrong with those homemade incubators!

I prefer a fan in them, but honestly my main incubator and both my hatchers are homemade.

2. candaceb

candaceb Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2016
    I would like to put a fan but havn't found one to add to the creation of and I set the eggs on 2-28 I also have a small led flashlight I have been using to candle them but having trouble seeing in the blue eggs I would have figured the brown would have been harder to see into

3. chiques chicks

As long as you have a good thermometer and it maintains temperature and the humidity is in the proper range, you can do fine.

Are you turning the eggs there times a St? When you turn them, it is good to not only turn, but to move them around so if there is a hot spot or cool spot they aren't always in it. This is especially true in a still air.

A small fan from an old computer works well.

It's basically steady temperature (99.5-100.5 in still air) proper humidity and turning the eggs for the first 18 days. At day 18, increase humidity and stop turning. The sitting on your hands waiting is the hardest part!

As far as candling, in a few days ( like day 10 or 12) with a small flashlight, those developing should be a mostly dark, any not developing will be translucent. It is easiest to see the difference at the air cell. Yes, dark eggs are harder to see. I've only ever done one batch of white eggs (bobwhite quail) so am used to not seeing much.

With the little light I use, I can't see the movement people talk about.

I always refer people to Hatching 101 Sally Sunshine had put together an amazing set of articles about Hatching. She and I don't always do things the same way, but we have a lot of respect for each other. I'm very minimalist in my care, BTW. Even my normal Hatching methods leave a lot to be desired. I've had Brodie's hatch. It's amazing what eggs put up with in nature.

1 person likes this.
  4. chiques chicks

Dar 14: wait continues.

Ambient air temp: 63-77°F

5. Nksg75

Nksg75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2014
    Just came across this thread! What a cool experiment! Following!!

6. tiedyechick

tiedyechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2015
    Ontario
    Following

7. Hammie919

Hammie919 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2016
    [​IMG]

8. chiques chicks

Day 15 ambient temps: 62-78°F.

Really not doing anything here, just wait and hope.

9. Snowchicken56

Snowchicken56 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2015
    Maine
    Very interesting!! Following!

10. chiques chicks

Day 16: getting closer!

Todays ambient temp: 62-78°F

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by