doing the deed vs. fertility

rainplace

Interstellar Duck Academy
10 Years
Jun 23, 2009
Northwestern Washington
All my ducks are doing "it" though I have yet to see an egg. When I see an egg, what are the chances of it being fertile? My black silkies I thought were seasonal breeders. I'm beginning to think that being seasonally fertile doesn't preclude having a good time during other parts of the year.. .is this correct? Or will I be seeing some eggs from them?

A breeder gave me a reply to this through e-mail. Ducks are fertile most of the time, but some are seasonal layers. Seems like for some they need a certain temp in order to lay. Now I can stop looking for eggs from my silkies.

And still no eggs from any of my runners /cry

i read some article about the temp thing mine quit laying awhile back i have the last 8 eggs in the bator but the whole not laying thing hasnt fazed my drakes i also was told have no idea if true that the drakes are most fertile when the head of the drake has the most color i doubt that though but idk so hope my half wisdom has helped!!!

Mine too became quite 'active' recently and I was also surprised that no one had started laying yet. However, we did have a surprise egg outside one of their houses a few days ago (and a nearly catatonic little duck, that I thought I was going to lose, and we wonder if it was her first egg). We haven't seen any other eggs since however.

She decided to have her tubes tied after the first one
lau.gif

I really am not sure if temperature has anything to do with it. Our temp just dropped 20 degrees or more during the day and my ducks are still laying.
The only time I have noticed my ducks to stop laying so far is when I have changed their feed or their routine.

From what I understand from Story's Guide to Raising Ducks, it is the shortened day and NOT the temperature, that reduces some ducks egg laying frequency. Put out a light bulb and they will lay.

Back
Top Bottom