Domestic ducks (I think) found in lake

Electrofelt

In the Brooder
Oct 1, 2019
Hello! First time poster here and looking for some advice from the experts.

I live in suburban Massachusetts on a lake. We have a family of friendly Mallard ducks that hang out here. I'm guilty of feeding them (proper duck food, but still not the best idea... I know). About two weeks ago five new ducks joined the family. From my best google searching skills, I've identified them as Khaki Campbell domestic ducks. I've attached a picture.

My question is, what the heck do I do about these guys? Anything? I'm worried if they are domestic, then someone dumped them and they may have winter trouble when the Mallards leave. They are definitely familiar with people and we would offer food (and potentially shelter) while they are here, but I'm not sure if it's better to call the humane society to catch them and give them a proper home. Any advice? Do they look domesticated to you?

Attachments

• Ducks1.jpg
    Ducks1.jpg
    603.9 KB · Views: 50
  • Ducks2.jpg
    Ducks2.jpg
    1,004.1 KB · Views: 26
They are gorgeous. Sad to say it happens so often and usually drakes. If you decide to adopt them it will have to be a secure coop for ducks are high on the menu for all predators. Maybe you can find a farmer who has ducks and would take them in. If you do face book you might find some duck forums on there. Bless you for caring.

They are gorgeous. Sad to say it happens so often and usually drakes. If you decide to adopt them it will have to be a secure coop for ducks are high on the menu for all predators. Maybe you can find a farmer who has ducks and would take them in. If you do face book you might find some duck forums on there. Bless you for caring.

I completely agree! I was surprised when they first showed up, because they were all very friendly and came right up to me. So they are for sure familiar with people.

So the best option is to find them a home, our yard is too small to keep them in a pen. Best I can do is feed them and build a little shelter they can sleep in if they stick around.

Do people like these kinds of ducks? I'll post them everywhere I can find. Hopefully someone will want them.

Back
Top Bottom