ID help on domestic ducks from California 1/18/24

Valefor

Hatching
Jan 21, 2024
Hello,
I took photos of these ducks while walking around Lake Elizabeth in Fremont, California, and noticed that these are domestic ducks.
I was wondering if anyone here happens to know what hybrid mixes and/or what type of domestic duck each of these are?
Here's what I think so far, but would like verification if it's correct or not:
DSCN0437.JPG

1) domestic Mallard-Muscovy hybrids. Could be Mule ducks (Mulard or Moulard) or Hinny ducks
peking_duck_male_drake_feather_curl.JPG

2) Peking duck (male due to having a curled feather aka drake feather - although I was told on another forum that if they were domestic rather than wild, then the tail feather is not a good indicator to determine it's sex?)
peking_brown_female_straight_tail.JPG

3) Is this a juvenile Peking duck (due to having a white patch on the back) or is it something else? Is it also female due to having a straight tail feather at the end?
domestic_mallard.JPG

4) Not sure what hybrid mix this domestic mallard could be
yeah.PNG

5) Not sure about this one either

Thanks in advance!

#3 looks like a Buff female duck
depending on how long theyve lived out there could be mixed ducks remixed several times

#1 I agree with them being Mulards. No idea on gender.

#2 Most likely a Pekin, yeah. I’d say this one is a drake. I haven’t heard the, “drake feather isn’t a good indicator for domestic ducks” thing before 🤔 All of my drakes have had drake feathers, and all of my hens have not. You can also tell based on voice - males will have a quiet, raspy quack, females will be very loud and proud lol.

#3 No, not a juvenile Pekin. Pekins will always be full yellow when young and full white when adults. I’d say it’s a Buff Orpington. Definitely female.

#4 Looks like a male Khaki Campbell without his sex feathers - you can tell he’s male because his bill is yellow.

#5 No idea. Another male without his sex feathers. Wouldn’t be surprised if he was a mixed breed.

Very pretty ducks! Sucks that they’re on a public lake, though

#2 Yeah, I found that strange too. It was on a birdwatching forum I heard that comment. Ok, likely male as they weren't quite loud.

Thank you all for verifying!

Back
Top Bottom