Domestic feral Ferret

tonim109

In the Brooder
Jul 16, 2018
port saint lucie,fl 34953
since starting my chicken life almost 4 months now, I've encountered a ferret that created a crazy thanksgiving night. at dusk he came a creeping around the run. My dog that thinks the chickens are her babies, went crazy. She grabbed it and shook it. Not knowing what is was and afraid my Luna was gonna get bit, I grabbed it ( I know stupid ) but not before it had been shaken to hard to survive after for very long. Once I saw the poor ferret, I realized it was a domestic ferret that must have been turned loose by his owner just trying to survive. Why is every wild outdoor pest coming for my chickens ?

You have an amazing dog!!!

It's possible the ferret just escaped from its cage or home. They ARE weasels, after all. I don't know why people always assume the worst, as far as people releasing their animals...although it does happen sometimes. Kind of like assuming a lost dog was dumped or abandoned, what good does that do anyone? I prefer not to automatically assume bad things about people though.

It's possible the ferret just escaped from its cage or home. They ARE weasels, after all. I don't know why people always assume the worst, as far as people releasing their animals...although it does happen sometimes. Kind of like assuming a lost dog was dumped or abandoned, what good does that do anyone? I prefer not to automatically assume bad things about people though.
X2

Probably because people often do, in fact, release their animals or abandon them. Most likely much less often does an animal accidentally get out because a concerned and interested owner tries to make sure it doesn’t happen and when it does happen (accidental escape), then they fix that issue reducing the future liklihood of accidental escape.

Knew a person that shared a story about their pet white rabbits. Tired of caring for them, released them out back at edge of woods so they could live a happy/natural life. Pretty sure the only natural part of those bunnies lives was when they were dinner soon after. Being white and it being warm out (no snow), pretty sure they were unlikely to survive very long. In the OPs case ferret was just trying to find his dinner.

Probably because people often do, in fact, release their animals or abandon them. Most likely much less often does an animal accidentally get out because a concerned and interested owner tries to make sure it doesn’t happen and when it does happen (accidental escape), then they fix that issue reducing the future liklihood of accidental escape.

Knew a person that shared a story about their pet white rabbits. Tired of caring for them, released them out back at edge of woods so they could live a happy/natural life. Pretty sure the only natural part of those bunnies lives was when they were dinner soon after. Being white and it being warm out (no snow), pretty sure they were unlikely to survive very long. In the OPs case ferret was just trying to find his dinner.
I just think it's a pretty broad assumption to imagine that every single animal that is found outside of its home or yard has been abandoned, dumped, or released. You know, since animals can't talk and tell you exactly what happened and all.
I guess I'm just one of those old fashioned folks who likes to think the best of people when I can.....

I'm thinking good thoughts towards the OP and her very good dog! I'm also glad that she wasn't bitten (I hope!) and that she's more careful the next time. Do get your dog's rabies booster done this week! Talk to your veterinarian, and public health, about having that ferret tested for rabies. Call them tomorrow!!!
This poor ferret came to a rapid end, at least, and however it got there, it was the wrong place at the wrong time.
Mary

Last edited:
I just think it's a pretty broad assumption to imagine that every single animal that is found outside of its home or yard has been abandoned, dumped, or released. You know, since animals can't talk and tell you exactly what happened and all.
I guess I'm just one of those old fashioned folks who likes to think the best of people when I can.....

There are also "Old-fashioned folks" on here that just simple speak from experience, and their experience tells them that *often* (not always) animals get abandoned or left behind and left to fend for themselves. Many people actually tend to think "the best of people" whether they are old-fashioned or not, its just that pesky real-life experiences get in the way of that sometimes!

X3

Back
Top Bottom