Domineak SICK (Updated) Friday, Thanks for your help!!!

Barg- I just went through something like this with one of my ISA Brown hens. She started laying at 16-17 weeks and this happened at about 18 weeks.
I noticed she was just standing in the chicken yard and did'nt come when I entered. The biggest hogs in my flock are the ISA's and they are right at my feet, sometimes on them, when I come into the yard.
Later she had pick a spot beside the fence, just standing, and all puffed up. I went to check her and she would move if poked at.
I hauled my dog crate up from the basement thinking I was going to have to bring her in to watch over night. When I went to get her she was in the nesting box fretting and then she went on the roost. Still standing and still puffed but letting everybody know it was her spot.
I let her stay on the roost for the night and had Chickflick check her in the morning ( I go to work early). She went out with everybody and looked fine BUT that night it was the same thing. Puffed up, standing in same spot, went in nest box and fretted, then on roost. After those two days she got better but I stared finding soft shelled eggs in the shavings, about 3. She's been fine since then.
16 1/2 weeks seems early for a Dom to lay but I though I would just add my 2 cents. Hope she gots better.

Thanks for the info, she does stand on the roost, and sit on the roost.
The only thing that brings her outside is if I call them all, she will eventually come out and eat from my hand.

Her eye really seems to be the issue, she keeps the one eye closed all the time.

It isn't pussy, swollen, red or anything else that I can see.

Same question though, do Chickens usually let you know when they are sick, even if they arn't almost dead?

Between your story and my experience with hazel's beak, i'm starting to get the idea that they do show illness much more freely then parrots.

If I can get confirmation of this I would probably put this down as, she likely got a small peck around the eye and not that much to worry about, or maybe thats not the case

Id'e sure like to know.

From reading what folks have written in the past, chickens usually dont show they are sick until they are pretty far along, generally due to the flock will pick and hurt/kill/main the weakest member.

My two cents worth, sounds like she bears close watching.

Jill

Between your story and my experience with hazel's beak, i'm starting to get the idea that they do show illness much more freely then parrots.

If I can get confirmation of this I would probably put this down as, she likely got a small peck around the eye and not that much to worry about, or maybe thats not the case

Id'e sure like to know.

I have found with my amazon's that they can hide illness much better than my chickens. My chickens tend to almost be wimpy and let me know when anything is slightly off. I hope your hen is feeling better soon.​

Need to find someway to get a faecal... did the vet himself fop you off or was it the receptionist/asst... I have found that most vets (when you speak to them personal and explain that these birds are your PETS , that they are more than willing to work with you... especially if you can help them out with veterinary level info specific to chickens which they may not have on hand >this in the case of needing a vet for specific meds etc.)... that being said back to your problem with your bird... diagnosis based on such a vague symptom is next to impossible... what is very common is cocci/worms/vit and nutr deficiency (which often is an underlying factor with almost everything)... having had budgies then you must be aware of how quickly a vit. deficiency can happen and the dire consequences of such... it is the same with chickens... if she is not eating properly then malabsorption of nutrients to one degree or the other will occur so giving a good general nutr/mit supplement is always indicated with an ill bird... I reccommend Avia Charge 2000 (you can purchase online from Mcurry or Strombergs) because it is a complete supplement with all the nutr/micro and macro minerals and such in the correct ratio to each other for chickens. In a pinch you can give 4 drops of POLYVISOL for a week then taper off (however this will only deal with A-B-D vit issues).... this will not treat any worms or other problem which may be going on ... and worms may very well be your problem (did you have your birds on med starter? if not then I really suggest you get that faecal to see if it is cocci or worms as the meds are different)
A broad spectrum wormer such as Ivomec Eprinex (spot-on method of application for this) or Albendazol (Valbazen>you can purchase this from FirstStateVet supply at featherfanciers.com)...Good luck....

Barg, does her abdomen feel full and tight? Can you feel the hardness of an egg stuck? What about straining? Does it seem like she is trying to push something out?

For some reason I remember that you are in Oregon. If you need a vet you can try Marli Lintner in Lake Oswego at
http://avianmedicalcenter.net/

Or Gladstone Veterinary Clinic in Gladstone
http://www.gladstonevets.com/
I take Miss Matilda there, but sine the last time we went, her personal vet has retired so it might be best to call and see if they have a vet on staff who treats poultry still.

they might show symptoms, and not just die. apparently quaker parrots are very different from budgies. my parrot went a couple days like that and ended up fine. (probably the common cold only with birds) maybe shes just tireD? my chick does that when i hold her, and my EE does that with her eye when i am stroking her.

Quote:
Thanks ill get ahold of some of that.
I'm not sure who it was I spoke to at the vet; receptionist I imagine.
I'm going to look around for a vet I can get to do anything.
The Birds were and are on medicated starter.
We've been getting ready to switch them over to layer pellets as they get close to 18 weeks.

Quote:
No fullness or tightness, no hardness, no straining.
I'm not in oregon, i'm in WA state, same basic area of the US though
smile.png

I went out this morning and felt around , looked around her and just don't see anything obviously wrong except that she still seems to want to keep that right eye closed.
She opened her eye a little more then she was yesterday but still seems to want to keep it closed.
I felt around every part of her and dont feel anything wrong, her rear doesnt seem to be constantly working like she has any problem there. No apperent crop issues.

When I first went out she was out in the run, but shortly thereafter she returned to the house while the others were outside so, she's not all better, but She does seem a little better then yesterday.

Oh and for the record: I raised Bugies, I had a pair of African ring neck parrots, and my pet was an african brown headed parrot.
I also was the manager of a small business parrot shop that hand fed baby parrots and sold them, so my experience with parrot breeds is fairly extensive.
However, all this took place more then a decade ago
wink.png

Also, if you ever want a pet parrot, frorget amazons, african brown heads are great pets and they dont screem.
Added, no offence to amazons, they are beautiful, loveing, intelligent birds, but you have to admit, they screem their brains out
lol.png

Thanks for the info guys, let me know if you think of anything else I can try, check out, what have you; or if you think of anything.

Really appretiate the responce
big_smile.png

Last edited:
any eye flush medicine (human) might also help if there is perhaps dust or such in it ??? Otherwise all I can think of is that vit A might help and you will get that in the POLYVISOL...

haha! yes. i should've gone with a bird who didnt scream, he isnt an amazon, but he is a LOUD screechy one.i love him anyways though
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom