Dominique chicks...eight pullets???

LaurenM23

Songster
9 Years
Jun 16, 2010
King George, VA
Hi all!
big_smile.png
First time poster, but I have been reading for some time and have already appreciated so many hints, tips, and insights!

My hubby and I finally took the plunge and purchased our first chicks! I am a HUGE history buff and volunteer as a Colonial interpreter, so my choice of breed was the Dominique, as they were common to the period in our VA/MD location. (Not to mention they are precious, have that lovely barred coloring, and are noted for their calmer nature as layers...allegedly, anyhow.)

We were really leery to order from an online breeder, particularly since we have a VERY rural farm (how long might those babies be in the mail!) and only wanted 6 or so. I did my research ahead of time on the sex-linked characterists and found the lovely Dominique site noting the darker shanks and toes and more tight white spot on the head.

We found a backyard breeder in Richmond...nice since we could go meet everyone and see the parents before making our decision. The chicks were one week and two days old when we picked them up. They are now one week and five days old (two weeks on Friday). Already, I swear they have gotten bigger and more feathers are showing up...in three days!? Is that even possible?!

Anyhow, out of the 14-16 total chicks at the farm, we selected eight (giving us some wiggle room if a roo is in the mix). Those that we chose had the darker legs (compared to all in the group) and tighter spots, but one with almost completely dark legs has no spot and none of the chicks had particularly scattered spots. From my reading, it seems as though the leg markings are the best indicator, as the spots fade rather quickly.

Looking at the photo of all chicks below, does anyone see a roo that just jumps out at you? I'm just wondering if it's possible that we have got all pullets on our first time out...seems unlikely. All seem to be maturing together...no one stands particularly more upright than another. All are getting their feathers in the same locations/rate. They are all about the same size.

Thanks in advance for any help!

dominiques1.jpg

One thing I remember about sexing Dominiques has to do with the spot on their little heads. If it's a nice distinct round spot, it's a girl, and if it's kinda mis-shapen, then it's a boy. Now, I'm not sure how accurate that is, but that is what I have read.......

Quote:
Yes That is true and though not 100% acurrate everytime, with a little eye traing, you can fairly easily sex day old barred chicks.

The one in the bottom left corner, from the pic, looks like it has some frosting on its back so that one may be a roo, from what I can tell, most of them do look like pullets though.

Here are some pics of mine to help you sex barred chicks.

Pullets
37373_chicks_053.jpg

Roos ( notice the larger uneven headspots and frosty backs)
37373_chicks_051.jpg

Thanks for the photos! Do the "frosty backs" develop, or are those the day old chicks? Really all of them had dark backs, but their color is changing really quickly, it seems. They are getting alot more signs of barred coloring, it would appear. I'm not sure that they look so much frosty as increasingly mottled...and this really is their feathers, not the down.

In my research, I've seen things that suggest that the pullets feather out sooner and changes to the combs, but all little ridges look the same and all have the same amount of feathering. Does anyone know more about feathering differences? I've read so much lately, my eyes are crossing!
hu.gif

Here's a day old boy and girl. Boy is on the left.

36723_dscf8025.jpg

and at 10 days. This boy was really light from the beginning.

36723_img_0469.jpg

Here they are t 4 or 5 weeks.

36723_img_1062.jpg

I replied to your Dominique thread post also. I'd love to see a pic of the feet on the little black one in the right rear corner!

I posted in the Dominique thread also, and am now in a little bit of a panic with some very mixed results! haha The questions are now not only: Roos versus Pullets, but Doms versus Barred Rocks! Anyone have some thoughts??? Others are saying there are only single combs on these, but I can't tell a difference between the developing combs on mine and those on the Doms in the above photos.
th.gif

IMG_0872.jpg

IMG_0871.jpg

dominiques2.jpg

IMG_0873.jpg

First there not Dominique. (your birds have a single comb and Dominiques have rose combs)
I still believe that they are ether a cross or a Barred Rock. (I'm leaning to the cross)

Before it get brought up
big_smile.png

Yes the original Dominique was a single comb breed but it also was a crow wing crele colored rooster and a barred type hen. I believe the closes breed to the original Dominique that you will find is the Dom. Gamefowl.

Not my birds--- (click the Dom. Link in the upper right)
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...a=X&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&tbs=isch:1

Chris

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom