Dominique/Easter Egger mix. Is she a Roo?

What do the
Not sure why you say only the hen can pass the barring gene. I have two chicks both barred from the same comb. but the dom. was the rooster and the hen was the EE and both chicks are pullets

What do your eggs from those hens look like, and do you have a pic of your girls ?

What does your EE look like?

In chicatist's case, the EE is solid colored, or has a solid base and the hen was barred. Barred hens only have 1 copy of the barring gene, and can only pass them to their sons

In your case, since the rooster is barred and has 2 barring genes, he can pass it on to all offspring, so you don't get sex links. All the chicks will end up barred.

Chickitist my pullets are only about 8 weeks old so they are not laying yet. If you give me a couple of minutes I will go take pictures. They hatched from blue/green eggs.

Your Dom. hen doesn't have a rose comb are you sure she Dom. and not Barred Rock. Looks like she and a single comb in the picture. My chicks hatched in April around the middle. I can't wait to see what they lay

Your Dom. hen doesn't have a rose comb are you sure she Dom. and not Barred Rock. Looks like she and a single comb in the picture. My chicks hatched in April around the middle. I can't wait to see what they lay

She was with my very first chickens ever from a feed store. they claimed she was Dominique, but they also claimed my Roo was a girl lol

What does your EE look like?

In chicatist's case, the EE is solid colored, or has a solid base and the hen was barred. Barred hens only have 1 copy of the barring gene, and can only pass them to their sons

In your case, since the rooster is barred and has 2 barring genes, he can pass it on to all offspring, so you don't get sex links. All the chicks will end up barred.

Thank you---the genetics is fascinating :)

Dominique have a rose comb that's why I was asking. Around where I live the feed stores don't carry Dominique's, they usually carry just the run of the mill breeds. Sex-links, RIR, EE, the more common ones.

Not sure why you say only the hen can pass the barring gene. I have two chicks both barred from the same comb. but the dom. was the rooster and the hen was the EE and both chicks are pullets
I think what pp was stating is: the hen can only pass the barring gene on to her sons. The roo, can pass the barring gene on to both sons and dtrs. Black sex linking ONLY works if the hen is barred or cuckoo patterned, and the roo is solid base, and not white. Check out the chart in first post of "sex linked information" thread. It's my "go to" re: genetics of sex linking.

The first picture is Ebony, the second is onyx and the last picture is my Dom Rooster
I'm guessing that both of the cuckoo patterned chicks are pullets based on their tighter pattern, which looks darker than the pattern of your roo. From what my feeble old eyes see, those combs on both pullets look rose.

Back
Top Bottom