Dominique of the year! Ends November 5th, 2011 WINNERS ANNONCED!

Congrats Teri. I loved your pictures. Sorry to hear about losing your babies. We are facing that issue right now. Half of my flock has been sick the last couple of days. I haven't lost any yet, but they are still not well. Runny nose, congestion and runs. I've been nursing them non stop. Cleaned and bleached their roosts, cleaned out the coop and bleached everything down, then put fresh wood shavings down, fresh straw in the nesting boxes and DE on everything and have all of them on tetracycline. So far they seem to be improving. Anyway, a big congrats. :eek:)

Holliday Smith
Peru, IN
Mom to Herman and Henretta and 32 other chickens
20 rabbits, 4 dogs

Quote:
Oh, best of luck to you. I did that. Unfortunately what mine had wasn't curable. They would get well, then get sick again. It was going to be a lifetime of having them on antibiotics, and that's just not the way we want to farm.
sad.png

Quote:
Oh, best of luck to you. I did that. Unfortunately what mine had wasn't curable. They would get well, then get sick again. It was going to be a lifetime of having them on antibiotics, and that's just not the way we want to farm.
sad.png

Can you raise more chickens? I have pullets with this issue, but I think it MG, which can be cured, but their carriers for life.

Last edited:
Quote:
I don't consider carrier state a cure since every time they get stressed they will get sick again. It's like herpes. Some people have no problem with treating on an ongoing basis, but that's not our philosophy. But yes. I can raise more chickens. I put the birds down this summer. Their coop has been empty since. In January I will use activated oxine to fog the entire area and then in April it will be ready for birds. The trick is to keep the new birds from getting sick. For us, that means getting them from a clean, trusted source. That was my problem. Poor Pac was actually sick when I bought him from the breeder, but I didn't know anything. The breeder told me he had "hay fever". *shakes head* I was an idiot. He sold me his culls. Won't make that mistake again. But anyway, buy from a clean source, and practice good biosecurity. No going to the feed store and then just handling my birds, no new birds brought in without quarantine, no taking birds off the property and bringing them back without quarantine. I'll have to keep them from mixing with wild birds too because wild birds carry MG in my area. Also, I'm not going to rely on antibiotics to treat my birds at all. If they get sick, then they get culled. I'll treat an injury and rehab a bird for months if it needs it, but so many of the diseases chickens get are chronic.

Traci

Quote:
I don't consider carrier state a cure since every time they get stressed they will get sick again. It's like herpes. Some people have no problem with treating on an ongoing basis, but that's not our philosophy. But yes. I can raise more chickens. I put the birds down this summer. Their coop has been empty since. In January I will use activated oxine to fog the entire area and then in April it will be ready for birds. The trick is to keep the new birds from getting sick. For us, that means getting them from a clean, trusted source. That was my problem. Poor Pac was actually sick when I bought him from the breeder, but I didn't know anything. The breeder told me he had "hay fever". *shakes head* I was an idiot. He sold me his culls. Won't make that mistake again. But anyway, buy from a clean source, and practice good biosecurity. No going to the feed store and then just handling my birds, no new birds brought in without quarantine, no taking birds off the property and bringing them back without quarantine. I'll have to keep them from mixing with wild birds too because wild birds carry MG in my area. Also, I'm not going to rely on antibiotics to treat my birds at all. If they get sick, then they get culled. I'll treat an injury and rehab a bird for months if it needs it, but so many of the diseases chickens get are chronic.

Traci

Well, the hatchery I buy from must have gotten infection into their breeding birds, because it happened only to the birds I got from them. I guess I'll have to put the sick birds down, but they seem to be getting better already, and I haven't even treated them.
idunno.gif

Sour Grapes-I did not see thread until now.

Name: Scoob's Chew Toy
Age at Time of Photo: 7 Months
History: He is of my Voter strain stock. His mom was > 8 years of age when he was laid. Pen reared with German Short-Haired Pointer.

41527_vennie_lateralb.jpg

Quote:

Traci

Well, the hatchery I buy from must have gotten infection into their breeding birds, because it happened only to the birds I got from them. I guess I'll have to put the sick birds down, but they seem to be getting better already, and I haven't even treated them.
idunno.gif

I'm pretty sure that Herman and Henretta where the carriers. Herman was the first one to show signs of being sick. Since we won them at the Crossroads show, I am not sure where they came from. I don't know what it is that they have for sure either. I am still a newbie and have only had chickens for the last 6 months. If any of them die, then I will consider culling. I don't have a local vet that deals with chickens so I have no one to come look at them and tell me what they have for sure. I hate to get the USDA involved. Once your on their radar, your never off!

Back
Top Bottom