Dominique roo + Buff Orpington hens = ?

big mami

In the Brooder
10 Years
Oct 15, 2009
Santa Cruz, CA
I'm trying to breed dual purpose chickens "au naturale" instead of with an incubator and brooder, but my hens aren't cooperating. I have Barred Rock hens (zero broodiness so far) and Dominique hens (just enough broodiness to fake me out, but they don't really do the job). I also have a Dominique roo who is wonderful and don't want to give him up.

My question is, if I get some Buff Orpington hens (for dual purpose with more broodiness), what would the resultant cross be like? The traits I want are: dual purpose, good layers, broodiness. Should I try cross breeding or should I replace my roo with a Buff? Any breeder folks want to give me advice?

in 6 years I have had mostly DP birds. Finally this year had a BA finally hatch a clutch. Last year she did a few fake outs 3-4 days then run off. If your looking for exceptional broody hens I guess silkies are on the top of the list. I am like 505, never had a Buff go broody either. Its ALWAYS when you don't want/need 1 they go. When you do they NEVER will
idunno.gif

It isn't always as easy as just getting the "right" breed and crossing them. Broodiness is hormonal and can change in different strains of the same breed. It is true that some breeds do go broody more than others but that doesn't mean a breed WILL go broody. Also if you get breeds don't get them from a hatchery. That will make the likelyhood of broodiness decrease drastically. Get them from a breeder who you can ask many questions such as the broodiness of the parents etc... In my oppinion I wouldn't get BO's

my orps never go broody either. a little bit in the barred rocks, occasionally in the dominiques.

I have been studying the effects of sorghum on pullet hatch rates. one of the side effects I have found is increased broodiness. it is far from a guarantee but if you want to try it use sorghum seed free range.

breeds that are broody for me: silkies, brahmas, new Hampshire reds (breeder not hatchery), old English game bantams, cochins.

my buff goes broody 24/7 he dont go out.....so do some dont....silkies are good setters but poor layers.....try crossing your BR with a buff Roo...or via versa......

Back
Top Bottom