Dominique Thread!

[COLOR=0000CD]You lucked out having quiet birds.  My friend and I were embarrassed at how loud our Ameraucana and EEs were!  Currently my little Silkies are the noisy ones to announce whenever someone lays an egg but it doesn't last long.  Our Ameraucana was just obnoxiously LOUD for so long that the neighbor had to look over the fence to see what was up with her![/COLOR]

[COLOR=0000CD]Look on the Dominique Club website and contact this Eastern Regional person to see if they can refer you to a local breeder.  I didn't have much luck in the past contacting Club members but maybe you will have better luck as I haven't tried to contact anyone recently -- or contact Fred Farthing listed in Central region in the club - he was very nice to talk with when I contacted him a few years ago:[/COLOR]

http://www.dominiqueclub.org/?page_id=14

Eastern- Julie Gupton (NC)   919-853-3542   [email protected]

North & South Carolina, Tennessee, Kentucky, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Virginia

[COLOR=0000CD]GL in finding a good Dom roo - maybe get a couple roos and choose the nicest one to keep as not every individual always turns out perfect.[/COLOR]

Thanks, I'm currently a member of the Dominique Club. The closest I've found is an hour north of Bowling Green which is about 2 hours away from where we live. I'm waiting it out for locals, or when we travel next. We have vacationed in Asheville and there are some out that way.
1f60a.png

Thanks, I'm currently a member of the Dominique Club. The closest I've found is an hour north of Bowling Green which is about 2 hours away from where we live. I'm waiting it out for locals, or when we travel next. We have vacationed in Asheville and there are some out that way.
1f60a.png

I'm in SoCal and my nearest Dom contact is about 2 hours away. One good thing is they will deliver at a cost. Most of the time I just get birds shipped to me since I don't get birds that often. At one time my nearest Dom contact was way up in the Pacific Northwest and then only the bantam Doms. It's nice now that more Dom breeders are showing up around the country. Of course there's always hatchery stock from local feed stores and I lucked out once getting a decent pullet.

I bought a Dominique pullet this spring and even though she was a mean little chick, she's now just about at the bottom on my flock's pecking order. As a bird, I think she's beautiful, but I don't think the Dominique breed is for me. I have a lot more fun with my SLW and my Orp. I'll keep her but I probably won't replace her with the same breed in the future.

I bought a Dominique pullet this spring and even though she was a mean little chick, she's now just about at the bottom on my flock's pecking order. As a bird, I think she's beautiful, but I don't think the Dominique breed is for me. I have a lot more fun with my SLW and my Orp. I'll keep her but I probably won't replace her with the same breed in the future.

We lost our only Dom pullet before POL. Wish I lived close to you - I'd pick her up from you in a heartbeat! I keep all my new pullets in-house (I usually get only one pullet at a time because of numbers/zoning restrictions) and we get to bond with each of our newest pullets before introducing to the outdoor flock. We get the chattiest friendliest girls that way. We also learned hit-&-miss which breeds/birds were compatible with each other in the flock. I've found our larger heavier dual purpose breeds (6-lbs+) weren't compatible re flock politics toward our gentler (5-lbs-&-under) lighterweight breeds of Silkie, Breda, or pure Ameraucana. We currently opt to keep the smaller gentler breeds as our peaceful backyard flock since we are zoned for only 5 hens, no roos.

We lost our only Dom pullet before POL. Wish I lived close to you - I'd pick her up from you in a heartbeat! I keep all my new pullets in-house (I usually get only one pullet at a time because of numbers/zoning restrictions) and we get to bond with each of our newest pullets before introducing to the outdoor flock. We get the chattiest friendliest girls that way. We also learned hit-&-miss which breeds/birds were compatible with each other in the flock. I've found our larger heavier dual purpose breeds (6-lbs+) weren't compatible re flock politics toward our gentler (5-lbs-&-under) lighterweight breeds of Silkie, Breda, or pure Ameraucana. We currently opt to keep the smaller gentler breeds as our peaceful backyard flock since we are zoned for only 5 hens, no roos.

My girl isn't laying yet but she squatted for me this morning so I'm hopeful everyone will start soon. If you were closer I'd give her to you! I'd like to add an Australorp or another Orp to my flock. I only have one lightweight breed and she's my only white egg layer as well. Everyone else is a heavyweight brown layer.

My girl isn't laying yet but she squatted for me this morning so I'm hopeful everyone will start soon. If you were closer I'd give her to you! I'd like to add an Australorp or another Orp to my flock. I only have one lightweight breed and she's my only white egg layer as well. Everyone else is a heavyweight brown layer.
Usually the reddening comb, face, and/or wattles indicate laying soon. I've never owned a 'Lorp but popular consensus is that they are good layers. Orps tend to be a broody breed so production wouldn't be as high. May I ask what your one lightweight white egg-layer is? I had a lighter-weight White Leg but she was too aggressive for my gentles flock & re-homed her. I couldn't decide on another good lightweight white egg layer to replace her as most white egg-layers were cross-breeds or poor production breeds. We stumbled onto a Blue Breda that is around 4-lbs and a good white-egg production bird that doesn't go broody and is fairly compatible with the smaller littles in our flock. I was going to get a gentle lightweight Polish for white eggs but they're not the best layers so we were pleasantly surprised when we experimented with the Breda. I gotta say though that she has a voracious appetite for a lighter-weight breed but she does produce 4 to 6 eggs weekly and she's very active at foraging up a lot of her own insects and greens.

DD is still working with our Dominque, Bubbles - The Amazing Psychic Chicken!

She trained Bubbles to peck at the Q Hearts. If DD does her part of the magic trick correctly, the volunteer "randomly' picks the Queen on Hearts. Then she lays out the cards & the volunteer must think very hard about their card. (without saying the answer out loud LOL) Bubbles can always read their mind & select the Q Hearts! Way to go Bubbles!!!!
thumbsup.gif

She also trained a few other chickens. (Those are more practical, though. The magic trick is more for fun & will be entered in the county fair.)

The chicks were trained to go back & forth from the coop to the tractor for grass time each day.

0.jpg

Our sebright also comes & lands on our arm when called. (Very helpful because this little bird can fly over any fence. It's also a lot of fun to hold out my arm and call her name as a bird comes flying down out of the tree.)

DD is still working with our Dominque, Bubbles - The Amazing Psychic Chicken!

She trained Bubbles to peck at the Q Hearts. If DD does her part of the magic trick correctly, the volunteer "randomly' picks the Queen on Hearts. Then she lays out the cards & the volunteer must think very hard about their card. (without saying the answer out loud LOL) Bubbles can always read their mind & select the Q Hearts! Way to go Bubbles!!!!
thumbsup.gif

She also trained a few other chickens. (Those are more practical, though. The magic trick is more for fun & will be entered in the county fair.)

The chicks were trained to go back & forth from the coop to the tractor for grass time each day.

0.jpg

Our sebright also comes & lands on our arm when called. (Very helpful because this little bird can fly over any fence. It's also a lot of fun to hold out my arm and call her name as a bird comes flying down out of the tree.)

Love it!!

Usually the reddening comb, face, and/or wattles indicate laying soon. I've never owned a 'Lorp but popular consensus is that they are good layers. Orps tend to be a broody breed so production wouldn't be as high. May I ask what your one lightweight white egg-layer is? I had a lighter-weight White Leg but she was too aggressive for my gentles flock & re-homed her. I couldn't decide on another good lightweight white egg layer to replace her as most white egg-layers were cross-breeds or poor production breeds. We stumbled onto a Blue Breda that is around 4-lbs and a good white-egg production bird that doesn't go broody and is fairly compatible with the smaller littles in our flock. I was going to get a gentle lightweight Polish for white eggs but they're not the best layers so we were pleasantly surprised when we experimented with the Breda. I gotta say though that she has a voracious appetite for a lighter-weight breed but she does produce 4 to 6 eggs weekly and she's very active at foraging up a lot of her own insects and greens.

My one white egg layer is a Blue Andalusian. She's definitely the boss of my little flock and has no problem pushing the other girls around even though they outweigh her by 2 - 3 lbs already.

Hey room! Happy belated4rth.

Fingers crossed guys=I may have a few Dominique chicks hatch next Monday. One or two cells look a little odd(i lost One of the vent plugs to incubator, so have been trying to keep humidity steady.).
If any one has a suggestion let me know please.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom