20170807_171712.jpg
    710.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 20170807_171636.jpg
    20170807_171636.jpg
    566.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 20170807_171440.jpg
    20170807_171440.jpg
    464.1 KB · Views: 3
So sad, I just read a review by a customer on another website about not liking the two Dominiques she ordered. She liked that they were early and good layers but thought they were "challenging" her when she entered their pen because they would jump up to get their treats from her hand. If only she knew how outgoing friendly curious these birds are she wouldn't have seen the girls as "challenging" her but that they are unafraid outgoing non-combative pesty girls that from chickhood naturally adapt to human/family interaction.

I love the assessment of the following youtube video of why the owner (Sonya Schaffer) likes her Dominiques and she has MANY breeds on her farm -- worth it to watch. Her kids are in 4H too and she has posted a few youtube videos:

We still love our Bubbles. She's one of the smaller birds here but outgoing & near the top of pecking order. Yes, she jumps up for treats - even when not invited to - but that's all part of her outgoing attitude.

This was the winning Dom at the state fair this weekend:
IMG_3542.JPG

I thought her comb & color looked good but she looked heavier than most. (I don't show mine, so it's not like I know much about such things.)

Our understanding of the genetic basis for the cuckoo pattern typical of American Dominiques may need to be revisited. My breeding efforts with the Missouri Dominique has a dark brown in chick coloration that did not come from the American Game side. There is also a pattern gene that obliterates the chipmunk stripe. Some of the insight from playing around with crele colored games which employ the same barring gene as found in American Dominiques. Cool stuff to be sure!

Our understanding of the genetic basis for the cuckoo pattern typical of American Dominiques may need to be revisited. My breeding efforts with the Missouri Dominique has a dark brown in chick coloration that did not come from the American Game side. There is also a pattern gene that obliterates the chipmunk stripe. Some of the insight from playing around with crele colored games which employ the same barring gene as found in American Dominiques. Cool stuff to be sure!
How do you know the brown coloration didn't come from the american game side?
Do you get it with your pure dominque breeding?
Also curious about the pattern gene that oblivates the chipmunk stripe.
What pattern are you reffering to?
I've raised quite a few dominque in the past plus cuckoo marans and cuckoo leghorns. Never had brown coloration ever pop up in any of them.

I know the game side very well. Same line in my hands since 1970's so very confident of genetic makeup. Same game in my family for much longer. A core line used to make battle crosses so no random introductions of new blood.

It does not show in my pure American Dominiques, nor in F1 hybrids. Popping out with segregation of alleles enabled by cross.

The marans and leghorns in all likelihood very different.

My American Dominiques are derived from Voter stock.

Do you have a thread about your Missouri dominque project?

Also why do you say "The marans and leghorns in all likelihood very different"
Cuckoo is cuckoo it doesn't matter what breed its on.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom