Dominique Thread!

Hatchery defects. I wonder if your lumpy girl wasn't hurt and it grew back like that.
Thanks for your speedy reply. I had one chick, either Lumpy or Gail possibly, that I called Murray McMurray about because when they were about a week old, one chick started running fast backward and then would fall down. She would then get back up and go backwards very fast again. I have raised chickens since 2004 and never had a chick behave this way. Murray McMurray didn't have an answer either lol! The chick which was a Dominique, stopped doing that after a week. Go figure??? :)

Now that sounds like a neurological symptom possibly brought on by some sort of deficiency, which was obviously handled because it stopped.
Thanks for your speedy reply. I had one chick, either Lumpy or Gail possibly, that I called Murray McMurray about because when they were about a week old, one chick started running fast backward and then would fall down. She would then get back up and go backwards very fast again. I have raised chickens since 2004 and never had a chick behave this way. Murray McMurray didn't have an answer either lol! The chick which was a Dominique, stopped doing that after a week. Go figure??? :)

Had to post pics of the 3 new Dom chicks (3 months plus a week old now). The top pic is when they were little. I only wanted 2 chicks but ordered a spare from our local feed store (who gets his chickens from Privett Hatchery) in case of chick mortality -- the little buggers were all healthy from the start and I never lost one :celebrate. They're 3 months and one week old now. DH is feeding all 3 in the next pic, Dana left the group because she's the least pushy and gives her face a scratching, while Jewlz and Opal stay to get every last bite. DH calls them his Powerpuff Girls because they are so active!
but I named them OPAL, JEWLZ, and DANA
DSCN8280.JPG

3 LAP CHICKENS
DSCN8424.JPG

DANA
DSCN8425.JPG

JEWLZ and OPAL
DSCN8426.JPG

Lovely girls, so glad they are all healthy and happy!! I love their names too. I also have a hen named Opal. Thanks for posting the photos :) I have the 7 Dom's along with Australorps, Buff Orpingtons and Ameraucana's. My free Chick was a Lakenvelder Rooster. All chicks were ordered together and are 4 1/2 months old now.

@Sylvester017
Nice young pullets & looking healthy. It's so fun when they stay "chick friendly" throughout their teens. (Sometimes my broody-raised chicks go through a period of "run away from everything" when the mama 1st abandons them.)

They're gorgeous little ladies! I'm glad they're staying sweet.:) My little Hobo is still not playing nice with the other hens, but she's top hen now so i don't suppose she has to.:)
Had to post pics of the 3 new Dom chicks (3 months plus a week old now). The top pic is when they were little. I only wanted 2 chicks but ordered a spare from our local feed store (who gets his chickens from Privett Hatchery) in case of chick mortality -- the little buggers were all healthy from the start and I never lost one :celebrate. They're 3 months and one week old now. DH is feeding all 3 in the next pic, Dana left the group because she's the least pushy and gives her face a scratching, while Jewlz and Opal stay to get every last bite. DH calls them his Powerpuff Girls because they are so active!
but I named them OPAL, JEWLZ, and DANA
View attachment 1180049

3 LAP CHICKENS
View attachment 1180046

DANA
View attachment 1180047

JEWLZ and OPAL
View attachment 1180048

Thank you all for your nice inputs. I wasn't expecting so many responses -- I guess we're all Dom lovers - eh?

I lost both new Blue Breda pullets I ordered back in March and promptly lost one of them before a week went by and lost the second Breda 5 months later plus a Black Silkie (w/ bleeding ovarian tumor) end of July. My DH was sad because he loves his Silkies and can't imagine the flock w/o those sweet birds. I was down to only 2 adult hens left in the backyard -- a sweet old Partridge Silkie and a young docile Cuckoo Breda hen.
DSCN7873.JPG

Not good prospects for many eggs next Spring so I scrambled last minute to order some easy-to-find Dom chicks to hopefully have some laying chickens by next year.

I've had BRs and Doms before and both are nice -- but I like the smaller lighterweight breeds and had a very sociable Dom before -- figured I couldn't go wrong getting Doms again. Plus they have a very beautiful U-back stance as adults that the BRs don't have. And personality! Wow, these girls are the BEST! and I've cycled through a few chicken breeds in 6-1/2 years! I would've preferred trying Cackle Hatchery's 3-pullet City/Town Special but I was low on funds and went w/ my trusted local feed store owner. He gets his chicks from Privett Hatchery and I had a Privett Dom before. Can't tell what my girls' rose-combs or U-backs will look like because they're still so young -- just barely showing wattles -- getting ready to grow in.

Don't know why these Chickie-doodles liked to snooze w/ my brooms and dustpans but when they started to fly up onto countertops and tables to roost, it was time to move them outdoors permanently. Hated to see these sweet babies grow up so fast! They're about 2-months old in this indoor pic.
DSCN8365.JPG

My DH calls this trio the "Powerpuff Girls" because of their active outgoing friendly nature but I gave them different names. "Jewlz" and "Opal" because they are gems and "Dana" after my favorite PA physician.

Back
Top Bottom