Dominique Thread!

Pics
Quote:
You're welcome. The REAL master, Mark Fields, has an excellent illustrated explanation of sexing Dominique chicks using the legs and the head spot method on his website. (BTW, after looking at a number of chicks of different ages that day, it appears all the chicks in this line have light colored legs)
http://www.dominiquechicken.com/Sexing_Dominique_chicks.html You'll want to bookmark that site so you can refer to it often, especially if you didn't get a chance to buy Mark's book.

I've only bought well started birds from this line, and didn't breed them together, so I've never had pure chicks from this strain before. That said, based on what my other birds look like, of the seven shown up close I suspect they're all cockerels. Remember, for pullets we're looking for a small, well defined spot with no black mottling or "leaking" or fading to grey. There are several factors that come into play; perhaps these chicks are a blend of two or more strains, maybe this line has chicks that exhibit more 'smokiness' and fading in their down color than what I'm used to. They are certainly lighter overall than my peeps, but then, that's why I wanted this strain. (mine tend to get too dark) I have a handsome Cock from this same gentleman that is too light to show, but throws beautiful daughters crossed with my hens. If these *are* all males, I won't be too disappointed, as I can pick two (or three) and use them for producing pullets.

Starting with the picture of three: the spot is huge, and not well defined at all, more like a big, fuzzy blob. In the middle, the "spot" is actually wishbone shaped, (making a "Y" shape), and on the far right, a well defined spot that makes me hope it's a pullet, but look carefully, notice the way the yellow "fades" out from the back and down the neck, see the wispy grey toward the beak? It could be a pullet, but I'm not holding my breath. (well, maybe just a little...
lol.png
)

The first chick on the left in the third picture is marked the same way, though the spot is much smaller. The second and third chicks are cockerels; the spot is "interrupted" with black in several places. The fourth has no well defined spot, more like a blotch with enough grey in the middle to turn it into a "U" shape.
Now look at the group shot; you can make out nine heads in that picture. Though you can't see their feet, trust me, every one of them is wearing blue booties.
wink.png

buffalogal, sorry I thought those were mixed pullets and cockerels, not one or the other. Can you post photos of the pullets from that strain as well?
big_smile.png
I'm uploading pics now.. didn't get any really great ones of the "popcorn" effect, the red light is terrible and the brooder is in the basement and Keith didn't feel like setting up the extra light tonight after working all weekend, so it's still a bit dark down there.
hmm.png

cockerel
malechick1.jpg

malechick2.jpg

vs

pullet
femalechick1.jpg

femalechick2.jpg

With real light you'd also notice the little male has a bit of silvery sheen to his bum area (low low back) and also his dark on his legs is much lighter than the pullet's dark.

ETA cockerel/pullet because I'm a doofus
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Not a one. I was getting straight run, and we just scooped out the required number of chicks from a box; we didn't bother to look them over or sight sex them because either sex would have been fine. As it turned out though, between us we picked up all males.
tongue2.gif

I'll be growing them all out anyway, but if anyone in Oklahoma needs a good cockerel, just let me know...

OTOH, the second chick in your picture, even without seeing her legs, is a pullet; she has a. tiny, well defined spot vs the "chewed on" looking spot of the cockerel in your first picture Congratulations, it's a girl! (and a boy)

I just started another auction if people are still interested in some eggs. This auction is THREE DAYS ONLY. It is for 10+ eggs to be shipped the week of 3/28/11. Here's a picture of some of last year's young birds.

5766_dsc_0092.jpg

Quote:
Ya know that is perfect timing for the BIG Mahonri annual Easter Hatch!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=447147&p=1

There are over 125 people participating. If you could ship to coincide with that, I am sure there would be interested people. Maybe you could post on the thread I posted and let them know, and you could add a note on your auction if you are willing to do this.

Quote:
Not a one. I was getting straight run, and we just scooped out the required number of chicks from a box; we didn't bother to look them over or sight sex them because either sex would have been fine. As it turned out though, between us we picked up all males.
tongue2.gif

I'll be growing them all out anyway, but if anyone in Oklahoma needs a good cockerel, just let me know...

OTOH, the second chick in your picture, even without seeing her legs, is a pullet; she has a. tiny, well defined spot vs the "chewed on" looking spot of the cockerel in your first picture Congratulations, it's a girl! (and a boy)

Lol oops I forgot to add that... I was thinking for a second I might have posted the cockerel second, and I went back to take a second look, going "I'm sure I just posted one girl and one boy"... took me a minute to figure it all out!
big_smile.png

Yes the first one is a cockerel, the second is a pullet. You can just barely see the "popcorn" effect on the cockerel's shanks and feet - light grey then yellow then light grey going down the toes. Again, really hard to tell with the lighting. Today is warm enough I'll bring a couple of them upstairs and repeat the pictures. I might be able to even pick up the same two. We had 26 chicks total hatch but there are some EEs and Marans chicks in there, we're giving Marek's today so we'll note just how many Dominiques we have and then we'll know!
big_smile.png

Another egg difference in addition to size and color between lines of dominiques is whether they are smooth or textured. Two hatchery strains and one private flock strain has have textured / rough while the eggs of remainder of private strains are decidely smooth / entire. With better photographs, the latter should appear shiny.

I have 3 Dominique chicks that I hatched out on 3/20. I got these eggs from a friend. It look like I have 3 pullets, with a chance of 1 cockeral. The one with the largest spot has the darkest legs. Can anyone tell if these are girls/boys?
72239_002.jpg

72239_003.jpg

Ok so one of my hens, Rosemary, is broody!! This is my first experience with this- I would like to be able to let her do all the raising of the chicks. She has been full on since March 20. All I did was began to let the eggs accumulate, and after a couple of weeks or so her broodiness set in. I guess she's due to hatch on April 10? She's sitting on 10-11 eggs. I have one other Dominique hen and a Dominique roo. I've made sure she has food and water up in the coop (it is small and elevated on supports with a ramp leading up to it) since normally I keep food and water down underneath the coop in the run. I'm not sure if she is actually eating/drinking any food or water since I'm not there most of the day. I have seen her up off the nest for a little while at a time to go out and scratch with the others. When I offer her scratch from my hand while she's sitting on her nest, she does eat a little of that.

One time she got up off her nest and was walking around all "puffed up" - I tried to reach out to grab her because she has poop all stuck to her rear feathers and she pecked me! I've also heard her growl at the other hen when it gets too close to her nest. Definitely doesn't want anyone messing with her babies!

I'm wondering if I still need to separate her from the others? Or perhaps just contain the rooster and other hen somewhere else? I don't want the little babies to be pecked. I also need to get chick starter.....

Any other advices or tips would be much appreciated. Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom