Dominique Thread!

Hi!
I'm new to Dominiques and BYC! I actually picked up my first dominiques Saturday from a local breeder who's stock is out of Alabama. I also plan to order 15 or so chicks and or eggs (more than 15 eggs of course!). I'm looking for the total package but foraging ability is most important. I also want show quality/SOP, good egg production, moderate meat quality, and good mothering ability/broody'ness'. We raised chickens for years but haven't had them for about 5 years. I want to get chickens and rabbits again to raise for eggs and meat for our family and my raw fed dog. I picked dominiques because I wanted a very efficient forager who can tolerate our winters and also produce a lot of eggs with enough body to be dual purpose for meat as well. I love the heritage that comes with dominiques and they seem to be the perfect breed for my small farm. I'm only going to have dominiques and will hopefully be keeping a constant supply of replacement hens by allowing some of my hens to hatch their eggs naturally in the spring and summer. I'd like to get stock from a lot of sources so I can pick and choose the traits I like. I plan to sell excess eggs for both hatching and for food. I'd like to sell some chicks to but I'll determine that by demand.
I'd like your opinion on the local breeders stock that my 6 week old chicks came from.
Here are the parents:

And a few of my babies:

Last edited:
Hi!
I'm new to Dominiques and BYC! I actually picked up my first dominiques Saturday from a local breeder who's stock is out of Alabama. I also plan to order 15 or so chicks and or eggs (more than 15 eggs of course!). I'm looking for the total package but foraging ability is most important. I also want show quality/SOP, good egg production, moderate meat quality, and good mothering ability/broody'ness'. We raised chickens for years but haven't had them for about 5 years. I want to get chickens and rabbits again to raise for eggs and meat for our family and my raw fed dog. I picked dominiques because I wanted a very efficient forager who can tolerate our winters and also produce a lot of eggs with enough body to be dual purpose for meat as well. I love the heritage that comes with dominiques and they seem to be the perfect breed for my small farm. I'm only going to have dominiques and will hopefully be keeping a constant supply of replacement hens by allowing some of my hens to hatch their eggs naturally in the spring and summer. I'd like to get stock from a lot of sources so I can pick and choose the traits I like. I plan to sell excess eggs for both hatching and for food. I'd like to sell some chicks to but I'll determine that by demand.
I'd like your opinion on the local breeders stock that my 6 week old chicks came from.
Here are the parents:

Doms are everything you say they are. Those are all the reasons that I love them too. Outgoing, curious, unafraid, people friendly, active foragers which makes other breeds look lazy, generally calm, brood their own, decent egg output and roos dress out for the table, etc. We've had larger BRs and Doms both and prefer the feed-economical Dom We recommended Doms to a Colorado couple who wanted a cold hardy free-range foraging breed for both eggs and meat that could brood their own young. We recommended Doms and Buckeyes. They got a quad of Doms with a couple Buckeye pullets and love them. I love hearing feedback from people when we recommend the Doms to them. To me the roos are very stately with beautiful body type and with that amazing leader at the back of their rosecombs. Their coloring is not so stark black and white like BRs but more irregular grayish black blending into a silvery white - and OH-H-H those soft soft feathers of theirs! No wonder the Colonists used their feathers for pillows! Congratulations on finding a breeder!

Disney used a Dominique in Saving Mr. Banks, location Australia 1909. Historically accurate?

Was Disney making movies in 1909? Or is that when the period was depicted in the movie "Saving Mr. Banks"? It's not available to stream on Netflix so have no idea what this is.

It's possible for Doms to be in Australia in 1909. They were in the Colonies for several hundred years and no one really knows who is responsible for bringing Doms to America or even where they originated - there are so many speculations as to the Dom's history prior to 1850's.

Dom's were even raised with straight combs as well as rosecombs until a controversy arose between the Barred Rock segment and the Dominique breeders and the BR people approached the APA to accept a separate standard with straight combs for BRs and the Doms with rosecombs. It's amazing how competitive the rivalries were during those early APA days when the breeding hobby craze took off in the late 1800's. I believe there was some rivalry re Araucana and Ameraucana standards in the 20th century also. Even between countries there are separate very different standards set for the same exact breeds.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom