Dominique Thread!

One of my Doms had 3 eggs hatch today. 2 are Doms and one is from my dom rooster and my RSL girl. Do you think it will be red? Silly question, I know. I peeped to see the 3 chicks and I think all were black. But I didn't want to upset mama so I just removed the shells and the dud egg and didn't linger to see the chicks better...I'm sure I'll see them in a day or two.

vpatt: Congrats on your hatch. It will be interesting to see what the mixed chick looks like.

Sylvester: Re: Dom friendliness compared to other breeds: I find my Doms to be quite personable, even without handling. My EE roo, who is also not handled is always near by talking to me. I don't try to pick him up, and he shies away from my hand, but he's always hanging around and talking to me.

Sylvester: Re: Dom friendliness compared to other breeds: I find my Doms to be quite personable, even without handling. My EE roo, who is also not handled is always near by talking to me. I don't try to pick him up, and he shies away from my hand, but he's always hanging around and talking to me.

That's what I found also through the years. Although any breed IMO can be socialized if handled, the Doms, Ameraucanas, and EEs, are the most naturally talkative. My Ameraucana is easy to hold but generally if we do it after roost. Once she's held she is mellow and talkative. Sometimes in the coop we can pet her gently or out of the pen when feeding her treats. However, the Dom girl vigorously sought us to talk to us, hop on us, sit in our lap, etc. What intrigues me is that the Dom is naturally inquisitive and outgoing and won't allow you to ignore them -- they are less hesitant to approach humans than Amers/EEs although all these breeds have great temperaments.

vpatt:  Congrats on your hatch.  It will be interesting to see what the mixed chick looks like.  

Sylvester:  Re: Dom friendliness compared to other breeds:  I find my Doms to be quite personable, even without handling.  My EE roo, who is also not handled is always near by talking to me.  I don't try to pick him up, and he shies away from my hand, but he's always hanging around and talking to me.
vpatt:  Congrats on your hatch.  It will be interesting to see what the mixed chick looks like.  

Sylvester:  Re: Dom friendliness compared to other breeds:  I find my Doms to be quite personable, even without handling.  My EE roo, who is also not handled is always near by talking to me.  I don't try to pick him up, and he shies away from my hand, but he's always hanging around and talking to me.

I lost one of the chicks and I have no idea why or which chick it was.
:(

My dom roo and my little RSL hen are my friendliest and most inquisitive about what I am doing around the coop and yard. But the only time I can touch them is when they are making their mad dash out of the coop in the morning. But several of the chickens will eat out of my hand.

I currently have 18 Dominique eggs I picked up from Nancy at Nantahala Farm in NC (http://www.nantahala-farm.com/) in my incubator. I candled on Sunday night (Day 7) and all 18 were coming along nicely, how's that for fertility?

If they all make it to hatch I think I may be completely overrun with Dominique chickies on February 1. Luckily I have a friend with lots of space who will buy my extras.
smile.png

I hope to end up with at least 4 girls who can be my winter layers next year.

Help please I am new to chickens and have been researching I am in love with what I have found about the dominque. Dual purpose, decent layers, good mothers, friendly and easy to handle, good free ranging. However looking for them in my area keep hearing not friendly or easy to handle get barred rocks instead. As I am new I am looking for a nice friendly backyard flock for eggs, meat and maybe some nice babies to watch grow up with there mamas. Am I looking at the right breed. I really don't want to order from murray McMurray. Would like better quality any advice would be great.

I was a new chicken owner last year and have dominiques x 2, Ameraucanas and a Jubilee Orpington and my Dominiques are by far the friendliest and smartest of the bunch. They also laid first and laid every day till the days got shorter.

I can't believe a Barred Rock would come close....

That being said, our Dom roo was mean and awful. We had to roast him. The girls are much happier without him.

Where are you located? That could help in pointing you to the right breeder.

Help please I am new to chickens and have been researching I am in love with what I have found about the dominque. Dual purpose, decent layers, good mothers, friendly and easy to handle, good free ranging. However looking for them in my area keep hearing not friendly or easy to handle get barred rocks instead. As I am new I am looking for a nice friendly backyard flock for eggs, meat and maybe some nice babies to watch grow up with there mamas. Am I looking at the right breed. I really don't want to order from murray McMurray. Would like better quality any advice would be great.

The quality I got from Cackle wasn't horrid.... they were all clearly Dominiques (a big plus).

Out of my batch I didn't get a bad cockerel, a got rid of most at about 8 months of age.

The one I kept is still nice... but he is not yet a year.

A few of the girls will peck when you try to collect eggs, but my kids don't mind.

The girls are super sweet when off the nest, very friendly and out going.

I was a new chicken owner last year and have dominiques x 2, Ameraucanas and a Jubilee Orpington and my Dominiques are by far the friendliest and smartest of the bunch. They also laid first and laid every day till the days got shorter.

I can't believe a Barred Rock would come close....

That being said, our Dom roo was mean and awful. We had to roast him. The girls are much happier without him.

Where are you located? That could help in pointing you to the right breeder.

South carolina

Back
Top Bottom