Dominique Thread!

Dominiques, in my experience, are the perfect chicken for a backyard flock. We have a mixed flock with 3 Dominique roosters. We have 3 because we couldn't part with any of them - they are so docile and sweet. One follows us around like a puppy dog and one flies up into our arms or on our shoulders when we walk outside. The hens are still laying pretty well at this time of year. They get along well with the other breeds, too. We have 3 BC Marans and nobody seems to pick on each other - I think the Dom roosters keep a tight ship between the girls.

Candled Saturday evening and after 7 days. 61% developing. Threw 10 out. Non-starters. Put an additional 30 in the incubator last night.

For eggs collected in early February, 61% isn't too bad I think., especially when compared to last year.
We kept 14 Dominique hens/pullets and one Cockerel and one Cok for breeding. Looking to have lots of chicks this spring!

That being said, I do NOT plan on having any chicks for sale this year. After I have chosen the keepers in late summer/early fall, I will have extras to sell. Of course, we will process the extra cockerels. They are yummy!

Candled Saturday evening and after 7 days. 61% developing. Threw 10 out. Non-starters. Put an additional 30 in the incubator last night.

For eggs collected in early February, 61% isn't too bad I think., especially when compared to last year.
We kept 14 Dominique hens/pullets and one Cockerel and one Cok for breeding. Looking to have lots of chicks this spring!

That being said, I do NOT plan on having any chicks for sale this year. After I have chosen the keepers in late summer/early fall, I will have extras to sell. Of course, we will process the extra cockerels. They are yummy!

please post photos of your keepers!

We'll, we are 3 days in to what we are now confirmed as losing one of our two amazing Dominique twins. We have a pretty secure backyard set up but they free range (fenced) most of the day and something must have gotten her from the air or she got our someway and a neighborhood dog got her. Her sister twin is looking for her and sad.

We will be hatching Ameraucana off our roo that we gave away in return for his hatching eggs in April and would love a few purebred good stock Dominique chicks now. We can't have just one!

We have a friend who is starting a homestead and wants any cast offs (Roos)so we would have first pick. Does anyone know of any reputable Ameraucana breeders in the Nashville area or should I go with a hatchery? If so, which one? My backyard show breeder I got my girls from has down-sized to Ameraucana only. I've been looking online to no avail.

Your post is confusing to me. Do you want Dom chicks, or Ameraucana chicks? Or both? Get Dom chicks, hatch Ameraucana? You can go to the Ameraucana breed thread, and ask if there are any folks near you who have pure stock. Same with Doms. Or ask on your state thread. I wish you the best. IMO, these 2 breeds go together like peas and carrots, like potatoes and gravy, like pancakes and syrup. Did I tell you that I love Doms and Ams? (I don't have Ams, but love my EE, and therefore, assume I love Ams as well!) I hear that Cackle has the best hatchery stock of Doms. I don't know of any hatcheries that offer pure Ams. They all label their EE as Ams.

Your post is confusing to me.  Do you want Dom chicks, or Ameraucana chicks?  Or both?  Get Dom chicks, hatch Ameraucana?  You can go to the Ameraucana breed thread, and ask if there are any folks near you who have pure stock.  Same with Doms.  Or ask on your state thread.  I wish you the best.  IMO, these 2 breeds go together like peas and carrots, like potatoes and gravy, like pancakes and syrup.  Did I tell you that I love Doms and Ams?  (I don't have Ams, but love my EE, and therefore, assume I love Ams as well!)  I hear that Cackle has the best hatchery stock of Doms.  I don't know of any hatcheries that offer pure Ams.  They all label their EE as Ams.

We are already getting some Ameraucana hatching eggs and want to get Dom chicks or hatching eggs as well! Thank you for the Cackle info, I have heard that before bit wasn't quite sure if they have worked through their breed improvements and didn't know if there was a local resource anyone knows of. Doms are such great birds!

Your post is confusing to me. Do you want Dom chicks, or Ameraucana chicks? Or both? Get Dom chicks, hatch Ameraucana? You can go to the Ameraucana breed thread, and ask if there are any folks near you who have pure stock. Same with Doms. Or ask on your state thread. I wish you the best. IMO, these 2 breeds go together like peas and carrots, like potatoes and gravy, like pancakes and syrup. Did I tell you that I love Doms and Ams? (I don't have Ams, but love my EE, and therefore, assume I love Ams as well!) I hear that Cackle has the best hatchery stock of Doms. I don't know of any hatcheries that offer pure Ams. They all label their EE as Ams.

I'm with you about Doms and APA Ameraucanas (my avatar) -- the two best LF breeds IMO. However my friend had 1 Amer and 3 EEs and says they are all sweet birds. Ameraucanas and most EEs are non-combative and prefer fleeing than fighting unless really cornered. Yet I've heard some say they have very aggressive EEs so not ever personally having an EE I can only say the Amers are terrific! My Blue Wheaten is very submissive to the small Silkies and we loved her temperament so much we have a Blue Amer on order for Spring. The Blue Amer is on order along with a Blue Breda who I'm told are mellow and non-combative so I'll see. I feel sorry for Amers or EEs that get mixed into dual purpose or combative breed flocks because they are constantly fleeing from the dominant heritage breeds which is stressful on a good laying breed like Amer/EE. Everyone thinks the Amer/EEs are LF but in reality their fluffy plummage only makes them seem as large as the dual purpose. My Amer is only 5-lb but stands taller than a LF and looks heavier than she really is because of all her fluffiness. I would love to get a future Cackle order of the city/town special of 3 Dom pullets to see how well they've refined their breeding program with Mark's assistance. Mark loves his Doms so it can only hopefully get better in the future? I shy away from hatcheries because of their less-than-humane culling practices on male chicks so I haven't totally convinced myself to order yet.

Back
Top Bottom