Don’t know which breed to get!! Please help!!

Mar 8, 2018
I live in Florida and need a chicken breed resistant to hot humid weather that is also extremely docile and friendly. I need help quick, because I have to order the chicks in a week!! Please help. Thank you!!!!

Seramas are very good with your weather, they are a bantam, they are the smallest breed in the world, and are REALLY friendly. Don't lay many eggs though..

Orpingtons might be good as well :)

Plymouth/Barred Rock: Heat tolerant, very friendly and docile, tolerates confinement
Hamburg: Tolerates heat well, tolerates confinement, not especially docile
Easter Egger: Tolerates heat well, bears confinement well, especially docile
Leghorn: Tolerates heat well, bears confinement well, not especially docile
Campine: Tolerates heat well, tolerates confinement, not especially docile
Welsummer: Tolerates heat well, bears confinement well, not especially docile
Polish: Tolerates heat well, bears confinement well, not especially docile
Silkie: Tolerates heat well, bears confinement well, especially docile, often broody
Sussex: Heat hardy, tolerates confinement well, very docile/friendly, curious
Australorp: Heat hardy, tolerates confinement well, docile
Belgian Bearded D'uccle: Heat hardy, bears confinement well, extremely docile
Wyandottes: Fairly heat hardy, tolerates confinement well, friendly, good mothers
Marans: Pretty heat tolerant, tolerates confinement, friendly, some of the darkest eggs

Of these breeds they serve the following purposes:
Layers: Plymouth/Barred rock (excellent), Easter Egger, (excellent) Leghorn (excellent), Welsummer (good), Silkie (good), Sussex (good), Australorp (excellent), Wyandottes (excellent), Marans (good), Campine (fair), Hamburg (Very good), Polish (fair)

Ornamental: Polish, Silkie, Belgian Bearded D'Uccle

Last edited:
Plymouth/Barred Rock: Heat tolerant, very friendly and docile, tolerates confinement
Hamburg: Tolerates heat well, tolerates confinement, not especially docile
Easter Egger: Tolerates heat well, bears confinement well, especially docile
Leghorn: Tolerates heat well, bears confinement well, not especially docile
Campine: Tolerates heat well, tolerates confinement, not especially docile
Welsummer: Tolerates heat well, bears confinement well, not especially docile
Polish: Tolerates heat well, bears confinement well, especially docile
Silkie: Tolerates heat well, bears confinement well, especially docile, often broody
Sussex: Heat hardy, tolerates confinement well, very docile/friendly, curious
Australorp: Heat hardy, tolerates confinement well, docile
Belgian Bearded D'uccle: Heat hardy, bears confinement well, extremely docile
Wyandottes: Fairly heat hardy, tolerates confinement well, friendly, good mothers
Marans: Pretty heat tolerant, tolerates confinement, friendly, some of the darkest eggs

Of these breeds they serve the following purposes:
Decent/good layers: Plymouth/Barred rock (excellent), Easter Egger, (excellent) Leghorn (excellent), Welsummer (good), Silkie (good), Sussex (good), Australorp (excellent), Wyandottes (excellent), Marans (good), Campine (fair), Hamburg (Very good), Polish (good)

Ornamental: Polish, Silkie, Belgian Bearded D'Uccle
x2 except for your description of Polish. They're less friendly than Leghorns, which is to say that they think people are evil demons.

I know Florida is a hot state so I definitely wouldn't recommend anything bigger than a sexlink. White leghorns are amazing layers and heat tolerant as well since they are so slim.

Silkies!!! Silkies are the friendliest breed I've owned and they are very docile. They don't need much space, either. They do pretty well in heat though you might want to give them shade or extra water in extreme heat. They're not the best layers but do moderately well.
IMG_1792.JPG
400.jpg

Naked neck Turkens. Excellent egg producers and extremely heat tolerant. And docile. My girls are about as annoying as silkies as far as friendliness goes.
And they're just down right cool :cool:
And IMHO one of the best dual purpose breeds.

Back
Top Bottom