Don’t watch me!

Oct 19, 2018
Utah
I’m trying to figure out about what time my chicken is laying her egg, the other two haven’t started yet, the wait is torture, I was out there the other day and just keeping an eye on them, and she never laid her egg! Do chickens not lay eggs when being watched because they’re distracted by your presence? I’m also trying to get her to use the nesting box instead of going outside in the run, I’ve placed a ceramic egg out there to give her a hint, and she’s scratched around in the box but still won’t utilize it! I’m wondering if it’s in a too busy of a spot? Soon as she goes in the coop so do the other two, and it’s a open nest, so should I maybe conceal it a little better to give her more privacy? :idunno:he

Can you post a picture of you nest box set up?
I put curtains over mine and my pullets have used them from day one with the exception of a few surprises to them because they didn't really know what was happening. Eggs dropped off the roost and one in the yard in front of the coop. But since they've all gotten into the swing of things, always in the boxes.

Can you post a picture of you nest box set up?
I put curtains over mine and my pullets have used them from day one with the exception of a few surprises to them because they didn't really know what was happening. Eggs dropped off the roost and one in the yard in front of the coop. But since they've all gotten into the swing of things, always in the boxes.

As you can see, she’s been scratching around in it, but then goes right outside to lay her egg!

Attachments

• 0D05E229-0AC8-45A2-AEBA-1112E355A22A.jpeg
    0D05E229-0AC8-45A2-AEBA-1112E355A22A.jpeg
    746.8 KB · Views: 45
That box isn't exactly inviting. Hens like darker, more enclosed, and higher up. They need to feel safe and like they are hiding when in the nest. With the box that open and low you may have problems with egg eating in the future too as being able to see eggs when not preparing to lay will sometimes attract curious pecking.

As you can see, she’s been scratching around in it, but then goes right outside to lay her egg!

Yeah. Unfortunately zero on the privacy factor.
This sketch is a bit dorky but hopefully gets the idea across.
nest box mod.jpg

Can you build a little shelter around it like this?
The black bars represent your existing 2x4s and the burgundy line the bottom of your nest box, which should be raised up to about 18 - 24" off the ground.
The red bars represent new 2x4s that will support a piece of 1/2" plywood or whatever other size plywood you have laying around and anchors to the wall studs.
The yellow represents curtains that you would staple up. The ones on the sides also be plywood scraps instead.
The angled top is to keep chickens from roosting up there.
You can then attach another 2x4 to the front of the cover support 2x4's with the 3.5" side facing up for a landing perch for them to step into the box.

Back
Top Bottom