Don’t watch me!

Wonderful news! Beaker has used her new and improved nesting box!! :celebrate

Still waiting on the other two freeloaders, my buff and austrulop. Going on 7 months now for those two, my aust wattles and comb are bright red and she squats now and again but otherwise shows no interest in laying anytime soon, and my buff does what she wants, still light pinkish comb, the two biggest birds and the smallest is the one that lays first :confused:

It takes a bit longer for them to start this time of year. Keeping them on a grower will help them mature.

Still waiting on my May hatched batch to start. None look anywhere near yet. I don't expect anything until November to December. I personally prefer mine to mature more before beginning. I think it helps to avoid problems when their bodies are more ready. Fast maturing pullets sometimes have troubles.

I thought my pullets would start around 18-22 weeks but sounds like that may not be the case! Should I leave them on grower with free choice oyster (or the like) till they start laying? Some sources just say switch to layer feed at 18 weeks. They will be 18 weeks Nov 26. Buffs, Brahmas, Barred Rocks, Wyandottes, and EEs.

My chickens aren’t all that picky when it comes to laying. I have a metal 4 bay nesting box. All of the brown egg layers use it regularly. It has no curtains and until we moved them to the new bigger coop it was in the run Attached to the smaller coop.

My Easter Eggers prefer to lay outside in my haystack or in my DIY hay bale nests.

I thought my pullets would start around 18-22 weeks but sounds like that may not be the case! Should I leave them on grower with free choice oyster (or the like) till they start laying? Some sources just say switch to layer feed at 18 weeks. They will be 18 weeks Nov 26. Buffs, Brahmas, Barred Rocks, Wyandottes, and EEs.
I would....but then I have never fed layer feed.
Everyone gets a 20% all flock type crumble, oyster shells in a separate container, then I can be more lenient with scratch and snacks.

Back
Top Bottom