Donating surplus to food kitchens?

Our local food banks will not accept meat or eggs that have not been FDA inspected.

They will however accept home grown veggies.....that I grow in dirt amended with chicken poop. :hmm

Grrrr. Regulations.
I've seen a statistics that 1 of 9 households struggle with food insecurity. Yet it's estimated that 30-40% of edible food is discarded.

The way food is grown, distributed, stored in the US is so inefficient...

I don't understand why... when they will process wild boar/deer meat? Least the ones down here do, and I know there are butchers in PA that do as well. That's gotta be frustrating.

Crazy isn't it.

Here they will take roadkill deer and elk and recently a thinning of Canadian geese happened and that was donated to them as well.

Thinking there is a pretty big salmonella/disease/parasite risk there. :hmm

I don't understand why... when they will process wild boar/deer meat? Least the ones down here do, and I know there are butchers in PA that do as well. That's gotta be frustrating.
Police here will call the state food bank if they have to dispatch a deer or moose after a car accident. Happened to the Mrs a few years ago.

I remember my dad saying something like that years ago... that when we moved back to PA, he told me if I ever hit a deer or something call the state troopers and they'll send someone out to get it right then, process it and donate it.

That's why I get mad about the butchering of muscovys and carp - and any other animal that they determine to be a nuisance. They don't process the meat and donate it, they throw it away and let it rot.

You'll want to checkout this site https://www.farmtoconsumer.org/poultry-map/ you'll likely be processing under the 1000 bird exemption, there are specific labeling requirements but you can get the labels pre-printed from a number of different sources.
That's close to the "cottage law" here too. Indeed the regulations are necessary for sanitation and health issues, but like I told the "authorities" I'm not trying to cook/prepare the birds, I just want to donate the surplus and they can process them. But unless I can hire someone to get certified to process the birds, I won't purposely raise the limit here any more. As I cull the overage (I only need 4 or 5 per year) I will no longer raise as many as before.

That's close to the "cottage law" here too. Indeed the regulations are necessary for sanitation and health issues, but like I told the "authorities" I'm not trying to cook/prepare the birds, I just want to donate the surplus and they can process them. But unless I can hire someone to get certified to process the birds, I won't purposely raise the limit here any more. As I cull the overage (I only need 4 or 5 per year) I will no longer raise as many as before.
I do understand that there is risk, but properly stored and cooked the risk is minuscule. But I'll read the links and talk to more butchers to see if I can find a way. It's so easy to raise extra birds- imagine is every BYC member with extra cockerels could give them to a food bank.

Back
Top Bottom