Donating surplus to food kitchens?

Food safety is important, and I'm with that. Sometimes the regulations don't fit every situation, for sure, and the whole CWD in venison issue seems to not be addressed well at all. Ask about it!
Everyone is gunshy about lawsuits, and that's part of the story when it comes to home grown eggs. I gift any extra here to local people in need, not through an official agency.
Mary
Mary I tried that through a local church. Wouldn't you know, one of the members is the ones who caused all the ruckus for us and our "charitable donation". I told her she is giving the "church" a bad rep.

Thanks for starting this thread. I didn't very hard yet, but I have 17 hens, and the two of us eat very few eggs (they are pets). I called our county food bank and got the following reply: "Unfortunately we cannot take eggs that aren’t USDA inspected with appropriate packaging and expire/best by dates listed."

I'm currently giving them away to people at work, but I would like to eventually donate them to someone in need. I feel lucky that I do not need to make money from my pets, but would charge for my girl's eggs if I did.

Last edited:
Each situation is different. At our scale the Federal rules should not apply unless you are crossing state lines, and even then there are usually quantity limits. Each state, city, or county jurisdiction can add rules and often do. It can be a mess but you are responsible for finding out what applies to you.

I understand the concerns for liability for eggs and especially meat. Everybody is afraid of a lawsuit. You never know how a jury may decide. It could be enough money to put you out of business or maybe even send someone to jail. Eggs require a certain handling to be safe but most food banks can manage that. They often get commercial eggs donated or buy them at a reduced price from commercial operations. Not much liability there. The unknown is how we handled them before they were donated. Meat also requires certain handling during and after butchering so there is that unknown, plus many food banks are not set up to handle raw meat.

Some states have what they call good Samaritan laws. Again, each state is different. In some states these may only apply to people trying to help at the scene of an accident but some might cover you or at least mitigate the risk for donating eggs, fruit, or vegetables if you do it in good faith and take reasonable precautions. I don't know how NH handles that. At most it is partial protection.

In Arkansas I'd give excess eggs to friends and relatives, though I had a lot left over. The next excess were taken to church on Sundays where anyone could receive them if they gave a donation to the church. It went into a special charity fund. People gave as they deemed appropriate. The minister usually donated a dollar for his pullet eggs. Others might donate $5. They got better eggs.

I still had eggs left over. We volunteered at a place that provided emergency help to people in need, sponsored by eight local small town churches. Everybody was a volunteer, no one was paid. Some great people worked here. We'd provide food, clothing, household goods, or pay for utilities for qualifying people. We worked on the thrift shop side but the food bank side would accept my eggs plus any surplus veggies from my garden. As long as they knew the person donating they were willing to take them. They did have limits though.

If you have something you want to donate I suggest you talk to a minister, doesn't have to be your own. Churches get all kinds of requests for help, some pretty strange. Most ministers know where people can get help if the church can't provide it on its own. Ministers can be a great resource fr something like this.

Every state and sometimes counties or other jurisdictions is different and it's a complicated set of rules governing eggs and meat. I sell eggs, processed chickens, turkeys, ducks and live chickens, chicks, turkeys and ducks. I also sell hatching eggs. Whether you're selling or donating, it's considered "entering the stream of commerce" which is governed by federal law. Who has jurisdiction over a particular activity can also be a muddy mess.

The reason I posted a link to the Farm To Consumer Legal Defense Fund was kind of subtle, but it would be worth a few bucks to have an attorney evaluate your specific situations, what you want to donate and identify your potential risk, before engaging is such an activity.

Let's take my situation for example: I can sell or donate up to 18,000 eggs for food in a given year within my state borders, but I can't sell at a farmers market, to institutions, or retail outlets without an egg license. To get an egg license, you have to have a licensed candler, but there's no classes offered to become a licensed candler. So no egg license for me.

Meat: I can raise, process on farm and sell to individuals, institutions or retailers under the federal exemption PL 90-492. I am still required to meet all federal guidelines for handling and storing the meat. And though I'm not required to undergo inspection, FSIS can come inspect me anytime they like. I don't raise or sell quail, because in my state, even coturnix quail are not considered poultry, but are a game bird covered by the DNR.

I help others process, but I cannot do it on my farm. In order for me to qualify under the exemption I use, I can only process birds I raise on my farm. I can rent my equipment to someone else and take it to their farm and help them process, but not on my farm. If I didn't sell birds I raise and process, I could qualify under the federal exemption as a custom processor, but would not meet state rules for custom processors as I open air process.

My point to all of this is it is complicated and one is often best suited getting sound legal advice prior to engaging in the activity.

Every state and sometimes counties or other jurisdictions is different and it's a complicated set of rules governing eggs and meat. I sell eggs, processed chickens, turkeys, ducks and live chickens, chicks, turkeys and ducks. I also sell hatching eggs. Whether you're selling or donating, it's considered "entering the stream of commerce" which is governed by federal law. Who has jurisdiction over a particular activity can also be a muddy mess.

The reason I posted a link to the Farm To Consumer Legal Defense Fund was kind of subtle, but it would be worth a few bucks to have an attorney evaluate your specific situations, what you want to donate and identify your potential risk, before engaging is such an activity.

Let's take my situation for example: I can sell or donate up to 18,000 eggs for food in a given year within my state borders, but I can't sell at a farmers market, to institutions, or retail outlets without an egg license. To get an egg license, you have to have a licensed candler, but there's no classes offered to become a licensed candler. So no egg license for me.

Meat: I can raise, process on farm and sell to individuals, institutions or retailers under the federal exemption PL 90-492. I am still required to meet all federal guidelines for handling and storing the meat. And though I'm not required to undergo inspection, FSIS can come inspect me anytime they like. I don't raise or sell quail, because in my state, even coturnix quail are not considered poultry, but are a game bird covered by the DNR.

I help others process, but I cannot do it on my farm. In order for me to qualify under the exemption I use, I can only process birds I raise on my farm. I can rent my equipment to someone else and take it to their farm and help them process, but not on my farm. If I didn't sell birds I raise and process, I could qualify under the federal exemption as a custom processor, but would not meet state rules for custom processors as I open air process.

My point to all of this is it is complicated and one is often best suited getting sound legal advice prior to engaging in the activity.

I wholeheartedly agree with you on the complications, legalities, regulations and restrictions. Rather than stir up another hornet's nest, I am now choosing to raise my birds as free ranging personal property. I'll just continue to volunteer my time, services, and finances to others, as I feel compelled, in other ways. My flock deserves more consideration than the governing bodies will allow so...

BTW, I'm certified and licensed by my state, and not just since yesterday...but it's not worth the hassle for me, at this point in my life, to argue or wrangle with them about their own rules.

why do people assume wild game is tainted ?
while they think that domesticated animals are so pure ?

While domestic animals certainly aren't free of disease nor is their processing, there is some control. As someone who has hunted and fished since preteen, I am very careful where my wild game is harvested and avoid anything I feel might be tainted.

Back
Top Bottom