Done with coop and run construction, how should I set up the inside?

gnatnoop

Hatching
9 Years
May 11, 2010
ive built the coop and run, but am unsure of how to set up the inside.. give me some ideas.. heres a 2 minute video of the coop, run and some birds..

the coop is 4x8 and about 7 feet tall..

[youtube]FNF_B4ojMTc[/youtube]

Last edited:
I don't have anything covering the top of the run. However they are locked up at night. Im not so worried about flying predators, as they have alot of cover in that run..

Last edited:
Well...at only four foot wide, I would definitely run the roosts against the short walls, because there's not a lot of room to fly up/down otherwise. I'd do a ladder type roost system against that wall to the left. Three rungs (starting about 18 inches maybe?) would be more than enough space for 11 birds (12 ft of roosts). There would be squabbling over the highest roost of course (or maybe they would want the middle one if it ended up being closer to the window). I would either hinge it so that you can raise it up to clean beneath or make it removable.
I would place nest boxes in the darkest area, maybe the opposite wall, mounted above the pop door opening so less floor space is wasted.
The video kept freezing on me, so I'm not sure what else...

if yours the coop is 4x8 that is 32 sq ft that is way to small for 11 stardard chicken they need 4 sq per bird so only 8 birds. you will have to get rid of three birds

dont know the size of your pen but 10 sq feet per bird

i would make two small roost on the small side of the walls and make the roost board 2 x4 the 4 inch flat side up and have it them about 2 ft apart. under the roost bars put a 2x4 on the floor about 4 1/2 ft from the wall so u can lift it up. in that area u can put on the floor pine shaving or hay, and you clean out once a month. .

for 8 birds u will need 2 nest boxes 4 birds to a nest box i would have nest box hang out of the house

you will need more ventilation for the coop.

also i dont know where you are living[state] if you are get the cold u will have to feed them inside and water them.

do you have chicken coop door to your run?

You can see my set up on my byc page just click on it under my name

laura

Quote:
My coop is also 4x8 and about 6 ft at the highest point of the ceiling. Living in a city with ordinances, we are only allowed 6 birds in all, and they have to have a minimum of 4sq. ft. per bird, so she is right, 11 is too much for the standard. I have an 8x8 covered pen, and it was tricky setting up the inside of the coop, if you click on my website, there are good pictures of how we have ours set up right now. In the future, the nesting boxes are going to be on the outside wall under the roosting area, to utilize the space a little better. Its a tight squeeze in there as it is. This morning was the first morning with our girls, as we brought them home last night. And with only 6 birds, there was already a ton of poop in less than 12 hours. I can't imagine cleaning the same place with poo from 11 birds. And ours too will be spending a great deal of time in the pen which is 64sq. ft, which is just enough for the standard 10sq. ft. per chicken.

www.hangartnerhouse.blogspot.com

it is about 1000 Sq ft of run space, i already got rid of one of the birds so im down to 10, as of now i am using a cardboard box for a nesting box, but i am looking to make nest boxes that i can access from the outside of the coop. i have not cut the pop door so they can get into the run, yet. Right now they have full range of 1 acre. I am looking into the ladder system as you mentioned, also there is alot of venting around the roof, but i will see if i can mabey put in another window, or make that one bigger. I live in cali btw

Back
Top Bottom