1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dongxiang or Lushi

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ShockValue, Mar 2, 2015.

1. ShockValue

ShockValue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2010
    West Sound, Washington
    So I was researching blue egg layers and came across 2 names I was unfamiliar with: Dongxiang and Lushi. Apparently both from China.

Googling has led me in circles with no information about them other than they lay blue eggs. They're not listed in the breed list on this site nor do I find any of them for sale on any of the large hatchery sites.

Does anyone have information on these breeds? Egg size, personality, etc etc?

2. ShockValue

ShockValue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2010
    West Sound, Washington
    Apparently there just isn't that much info?

3. Shaunb020

Shaunb020 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2015
    St. Joseph, Missouri
    Coincidentally im in the same boat searching for them. They are excellent fibro birds with bright blue eggs. I have a project in mind and would really love to get my hands on a few.

4. Shaunb020

Shaunb020 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2015
    St. Joseph, Missouri
    Hahaha.... I am in Beijing and they sell these blue Dongxi eggs everywhere. The black meat too. I just gotta find the farms....

5. Kindercare

Kindercare Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2016
    Any luck with finding these birds in the US? I've been considering a fibro blue egg project of my own and would love to start with something that is halfway there.

Also, I read a couple of papers that indicate that the Chinese blue egg gene is similar but different from the South American version. Wonder what would happen if you combined the two?

6. orientphoenix

orientphoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    would love to see them here in the usa

7. RobG7aChattTN

RobG7aChattTN Chillin' With My Peeps

That's exactly what I was wondering. If you crossed one of these Chinese blue-egg breeds with an Auracana, Ameraucana or Cream Legbar would you get a brighter, deeper blue egg? I'd like to see what would happen!

8. Glenstorm63

Glenstorm63 New Egg

Apr 18, 2016
    Personally I find Araucanas look as ugly as **** with their dipsy pea comb and dumb crest. I would much rather have a dongxiang black chook with full comb that lays blue eggs than bother with crossing back to araucanas.

9. RobG7aChattTN

RobG7aChattTN Chillin' With My Peeps

I've got Cream Legbars so that's what I personally would cross them with. The whole reason though would have less to do with the look of the bird and just to try and get the deepest, darkest blue egg possible.

10. Glenstorm63

Glenstorm63 New Egg

Apr 18, 2016
    Fair enough.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by