Don't actually have them yet :)

CrazyDogLady

Hatching
5 Years
Aug 14, 2014
I'm so excited, my husband and I are in the middle of closing on 20 acres and I have big plans for chickens. I've been reading books, found this website, and am trying to figure out what I want my husband to build for a coop. Also, after reading in one of the books about how chickens keep the bugs eaten up, I can't wait to let them have at all those fire ants and crickets roaming the yard. Does anyone know how chickens do with scorpions? I haven't seen any at the property yet, but with all those other bugs I figure they're around there somewhere.

I know I have to get them used to a coop so they'll come back at night. I have to chicken proof (and chihuahua proof, figure they'll be similar), the fence around the yard. There is already fencing, just needs to be smaller. I want to let them range the yard around the house, approximately 3/4 acre or so, that's fenced in.

I want to have my plan of attack ready for when we close and get the place move in ready. So, I'll be all over this forum :) Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to BYC!! Are you planning on getting chicks or full grown hens? We don't have scorpions here so I don't know how they handle them. How many are you planning on getting?
If you get full grown hens then I'd keep them in the coop for at least a week and then I'd let them out for a little bit and then just start making their free time longer. Good luck with your chicken adventure!

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and are here to help.

I also don't know how chickens do with scorpions. I would be worried about them getting stung since chickens tend to peck at their food before they eat it.

Be cautious with your dog around your chickens. Even the smallest dogs may want to chase and kill your flock.

Have you checked out our learning center yet? Lots of great stuff there!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Glad you joined and good luck with your projects.
big_smile.png

I think I'll probably start with chicks, I've been doing some reading on heat hardy birds. There is a rare heritage bird, a Cubalaya, supposed to be friendly and heat hardy. Sounds great for Arizona.

I think I'll probably start with chicks, I've been doing some reading on heat hardy birds. There is a rare heritage bird, a Cubalaya, supposed to be friendly and heat hardy. Sounds great for Arizona.
Good for you with starting with chicks! They are so fun to raise and usually end up being tamer when raised from chickhood!

Hello there and welcome to our flock!
frow.gif

Definitely stop by our learning center. Lots of great articles on getting started and all other aspects of keeping chickens. Mountain Peeps has left you with the link.

Good luck and if you have any questions along the way, that is what we are here for. Welcome to our flock!

Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. Your chickens should be fine with the scorpions. I raised chickens for years in Texas and we had lots of scorpions and our chickens never had a problem with them. As Mountain Peeps has suggested, your dog is a much bigger threat to your chickens. As many BYC members can attest (to their sorrow), dogs and chickens don't usually mix well. If you're looking for a heat hardy breed, I would suggest Black Australorps. I raised them in CA where summer temperatures frequently reached 117-118 F (123 F once) and with shade, good coop ventilation, and lots of fresh water, they did just fine. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. Your chickens should be fine with the scorpions. I raised chickens for years in Texas and we had lots of scorpions and our chickens never had a problem with them. As Mountain Peeps has suggested, your dog is a much bigger threat to your chickens. As many BYC members can attest (to their sorrow), dogs and chickens don't usually mix well. If you're looking for a heat hardy breed, I would suggest Black Australorps. I raised them in CA where summer temperatures frequently reached 117-118 F (123 F once) and with shade, good coop ventilation, and lots of fresh water, they did just fine. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.
x2! I love Australorps! They are so pretty and SWEET. Here's my Sweetie.

Thanks for everyone's info. I am a bit worried about the dogs,or at least two of them (I have six). The others will let the wild birds in the yard by the feeders close without a glance. Two are definitely reactive. If I have to fence off a separate chicken yard, so be it. I will have plenty of room, I was just a little enamored with the idea of them eating all those fire ants and crickets around the house.

Last edited:
Has anyone had luck desensitizing dogs to their chickens? I would bet my dog trainer would know. Mine are all very small, except an aging docile hound who sniffs towards doves when they land in my yard. She might chase a piece of fried chicken, but I would be shocked if she chased a live bird. She does not have a strong prey drive. I'm gonna call my dog trainer and get some suggestions. Maybe there is something I can start doing now.

Back
Top Bottom