1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

don't count your chickens before they are hatched

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bkvail, Sep 15, 2009.

1. bkvail

bkvail Chillin' With My Peeps

going by this motto, I did not pick up any chick starter.... I have some gamebird startena for my quail - is this acceptable? Or do I need to pick up chick starter on my way to get my son from school this afternoon? I have 5 welsummer chicks hatched in the incubator so far, with a couple others pipped.........

2. eggsrcool

eggsrcool Sussex Fanatic

I would recommend chick starter, but you have 2 days after they have hatched to get it [​IMG]
    Good luck!

3. Well, I don't know about you but Im going to get prepped no matter what. Hubby is going to get a SMALL bag of chick starter feed next wednesday just in case. we are getting pine shavings also. We are already getting the brood box made up. my son's old race car toddler bed is what we are using for brooder box, LOL. Hubby is screwing a plywood to the bottom of it. It is also used for the dog's birthing box but she hasn't used it yet. I will find something else for her.

4. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Yep - you really should get chick starter. You have a bit of time.

Remember to not put them on to shavings for a few days...I wait until day 4 (I use puppy training pads before then, some folks just use paper towels). Chicks will get confused about the shavings, and often eat them, thinking they are food. After they are eating and drinking really well, it's safe to move them onto shavings.

BEST of luck with the rest of your hatch!

5. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Quail are gamebirds and MUST have the gamebird starter. Chickens also do EXCEEDINGLY well on gamebird starter - really really well. I in fact, never feed chick starter any more. Chicks start faster, gain faster and feather faster on gamebird starter.

6. bkvail

Quote:thanks, just what I wanted to hear!

7. bkvail

Quote:I started two batched of quail on shavings and had no problems with it? I can't imagine the mess of poo on puppy pads, ick

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by