DONT EAT THAT!

IamLucy

In the Brooder
May 18, 2020
Been reading these forums forever now, finally signed up so I can ask few questions that I can’t find answers to!
Here’s my first question- under what circumstances, ailment, cause of death, reason to cull, would you consider the meat compromised and NOT eat the chicken?
Thanks!
Lucy

I wouldn't eat any animal that I didn't know what it died from. I would not ever eat an animal that was sick. If a bird was injured, like a broken leg or something that was not likely to be fixable, I'd eat that after euthanizing, but not if there was any illness involved. If you are going to cull hens that no longer lay due to age, those would be OK as far as I'm concerned. Basically I only eat the ones that are healthy and raised for that purpose, which in my flock is generally only the extra roo's.

I wouldn't eat any animal that I didn't know what it died from. I would not ever eat an animal that was sick. If a bird was injured, like a broken leg or something that was not likely to be fixable, I'd eat that after euthanizing, but not if there was any illness involved. If you are going to cull hens that no longer lay due to age, those would be OK as far as I'm concerned. Basically I only eat the ones that are healthy and raised for that purpose, which in my flock is generally only the extra roo's.

That makes total sense. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom