Dont forget to separate your breeders

CelticOaksFarm

Family owned, family run
10 Years
Sep 7, 2009
Florida - Space Coast
Its January 6th, many in the north will start seeing eggs in February (for march hatchlings) you want your breeding stock separated 30 days prior to eggs to ensure pure bred goslings and to help with the pair bonding as it will take a little time for them to accept who you as the human want them to be with. Otherwise you are behind the eye ball so to speak. I know it "seems" early, but you have to be thinking ahead if you plan to breed, not winging it at the last minute. Unless of course you are willing to eat or toss those first eggs if you are still running mixed flocks.

Thanks for the reminder, Shellie. : ) We'll be putting our breeding pens together as soon as they're built. ; )

By the by Shellie, I have never seen pictures of your breeding pens? Would you mind sharing them?

Thanks Honey

~ Aspen

hey Aspen, they change year to year lol. (Sorta like moving furniture) I will get some of this years current new set up. I need to shuffle some pairs around to seed pens again too.

What kind of sprouts have you been feeding, Shellie? Oats, barely, wheat? I am going to start sprouting soon. I just picked up some oats, wheat, and barely. I'm going to try my hand at sprouting them.

~ Aspen

been using wheat, whole red to be exact. Make their fodder out of it, and everyone loves it. The fodder is mainly for the rabbits, but when a pair/trio of geese are not free ranging that day they get a fodder tray for their daily greens.

Its January 6th, many in the north will start seeing eggs in February (for march hatchlings) you want your breeding stock separated 30 days prior to eggs to ensure pure bred goslings and to help with the pair bonding as it will take a little time for them to accept who you as the human want them to be with. Otherwise you are behind the eye ball so to speak. I know it "seems" early, but you have to be thinking ahead if you plan to breed, not winging it at the last minute. Unless of course you are willing to eat or toss those first eggs if you are still running mixed flocks.
You mean we are supposed to do this before they try to beat each other? Lol, I am so behind the eightball! Quite a few have paired up but I do have to seperate the rest. Thanks Celtic for the reminder! I need it!

lau.gif
yep, its sorta recommended to not wait and see, and actually be ahead of the game so to speak.

lau.gif
yep, its sorta recommended to not wait and see, and actually be ahead of the game so to speak.
Lol! I cleaned the goose/duck house yesterday and had to break up 3 disagreements yesterday. Out of 10 geese I have 3 problem children. They are so busy trying to be flock leader the girls are all turning to Ling the chinese goose. He's quite happy! Inside pens on the to-do list.

We have a butt head gander here, he thinks he is such the man he can handle all the girls. He has his own yard away from everyone during breeding season with his girls we chose. Come June they all inter mingle again like they have been doing it for 10's of years.

I was told 10 days separation by someone who has bred geese for many years. Would you mind sharing your source for the "30 days" ?

Back
Top Bottom